Chapter 18

Later, we walked down the beach with our hands swinging together between us. The silence was only broken by the crash of the waves against the shore.

"It's magical out here," I said.

"It sure is." Fionn stopped on the sand, cupping my face in his hands and leaning down to kiss me. His lips tasted like the powdered sugar from the funnel cake we'd shared earlier.

"I know we promised not to talk about this, but I need to know something." I pressed my forehead against his. "Do you think we can make long distance work?"

Fionn sighed. "Yes, I do. I do, because I believe that you and I were meant to be more than just a few days of making out and sharing secrets. I do, because for once—and I think I can speak for both of us—we're happy with no one to take that away. We have the chance to choose our own future right now. No ex-girlfriend to bribe a recruiter for a job because she didn't believe in her boyfriend, no ex-boyfriend to sleep with some girl he'd met at his business night class because he was too much of an arse to realize what he had right in front of him."

I instinctively twirled the claddagh ring from Fionn around my finger. The silver band glinted in the moonlight and I could almost imagine what it would look like with a diamond sparkling in the center.

"And if we do this," he continued "Germany isn't that far away from Scotland. A little over two hours by plane. If I get into the program."

"I'm sure you will. You're incredibly talented." I reached up to brush his hair away from his face. His eyes closed at the contact and he hummed happily.

We both deserved a chance to be happy. Walking along the beach with Fionn I realized that never once in my eight years of dating Kyle had he ever fought for me the way Fionn did. Fionn, a man I'd known less than a month. Kyle wouldn't have cared if I left to travel. But Fionn would've made sure I was doing what I loved.

I couldn't hold him back from that. Germany, the US. No matter where he ended up, it would be how it was meant to be.

And I had to accept that.

***

Fionn hadn't lied when he told me Cromarty went all out for the New Year's festivities. Every night there was something new to experience, from the music to the dancing to the finale of the film festival where entries from all over the world had been sent in and only the best accepted for presentation. These videos were projected over the side of the lighthouse for everyone to witness.

Lying against Fionn's chest, time seemed to stand still. He kept his arm around me, rubbing his thumb against my shoulder. I reached to the side and grabbed a handful of popcorn from the container next to us.

"Enjoying?" he whispered.

"Mhm." I sat up and leaned my head against his shoulder. "Thank you for taking me."

He pressed a kiss to the side of my head. "Thank you for coming with me."

Claps erupted through the crowd, signaling the end of the film that had been playing. This one was about a photojournalist's experience in South Africa.

"Emilie." His voice wavered and the mood darkened. "I don't know if Germany is going to happen."

"What? Why not?"

"I should've heard by now. I know it's the holidays, but it's been silent for too long."

"That's what I thought for my program, and then I found out on Christmas Eve." I took his hand in mine. "I'm sure the decision is coming."

Fionn shook his head. "I don't know that it is. The US is my only other option and it's a great program. We'd be able to see each other occasionally. I'll have to come back at some point to Scotland."