Bonfire

"Hey here you are. Wondered where you were." Newt says as Alexis is sitting under a tree a good ways from the others around the bonfire seeing him come over.

"I prefer to keep to myself. No disrespect meant I just don't exactly trust everyone yet. I'm not fond of my situation either." Alexis says as Newt sits beside her.

"Don't worry about it. So how did your first day go? Chuck said he saw you wondering around the woods earlier." Newt says as Alexis looks at him.

"Yes I like the woods. I'm more of a cold climate person but the woods still have a calming effect on me." Alexis says.

"We all have our own things to calm us down. Here have a drink." Newt says as he hands Alexis a cup as she looks at it.

"Um no offense but what is in that? It doesn't exactly smell the best whatever it is." Alexis says as she smells the aroma coming from the drink before handing the cup back to Newt.

"I don't even know. It's Gally's special drink. Sure you don't want any?" Newt asks.

"I'm sure. I'll stick to my water." Alexis says as she shows the cup of water next to her while Newt takes a drink from his cup.

"Don't worry. You're safe out here with us." Newt says as he sees Alexis move slightly while listening to the sounds coming from in the maze.

"That isn't exactly comforting since it was humans who put me in this place to begin with.. We're trapped in this place aren't we?" Alexis asks.

"I know it isn't ideal but yeah we are for the moment. But you see those guys over there by the fire those are the Runners. That guy in the middle is Minho. He's the one that you out ran and left in the dust this morning. Which is surprising he is faster than everyone else. But anyways he's the Keeper of the Runners. Every morning when those doors open they run the maze. Mapping it. Memorizing it trying to find a way out." Newt says as he points out the Runners to Alexis.

"How long has their search been?" Alexis asks as she looks at Newt.

"A year and a half." Newt says as he looks at Alexis.

"And they haven't found anything yet? Lovely. Out of one cage and into another. Terrific." Alexis says with annoyance in her tone.

"What do you mean by that?" Newt asks.

"Nothing. Forget I said it. It's in the past anyhow." Alexis says sourly as Newt looks at her curiously.

"Well it's a lot easier said than done. I know your hearing has to be better than mine but those sounds you're hearing are coming from inside the maze. It's changing. it does that every night." Newt says as he looks out onto the glade.

"How the hell is that even possible?" Alexis asks.

"You can ask the people who put us in here if you ever meet the bastards." Newt says as he looks at Alexis while drinking from his cup.

"Oh I'd do far worse than just ask questions if I ever meet the son of bitches who took me from my home and attacked my family. They already killed one of my own and they'll be highly lucky I I don't do far worse to them. Then I will be what I've been called most of my life." Alexis says angrily.

"What are you talking about?" Newt says as Alexis looks at him.

"Nothing. Sorry just excuse my rambling. Stupid ramblings of stupid female. Just ignore it." Alexis says.

"You're not stupid. I'd say you're pretty smart from what I've seen of you so far. But if you need to talk I may not understand your past but I can at least listen." Newt says as Alexis gives a soft smile.

"You don't know me and it's probably a good thing. Most I've met were frightened of me. But I'll consider your offer. Thanks." Alexis says.

"Well let me decide that as I get to know you. So far you seem like a decent person apart from pulling a blade on me this morning and kicking Gally which nice shot by the way." nNwt says as he laughs slightly.

"Sorry for that. I don't take kindly to strangers so it was more self defense than a mean to kill." Alexis says.

"Glad to know. But the truth is the Runners are the only ones who know what's out there. They're the strongest and the fastest of us apart from you now. And that's a good thing because if they don't make it back before those doors close then they're stuck out there for the night and no one's ever survived a night in the maze. We call the creatures in that maze grievers. Course no one's ever... seen one and lived to tell about it but they are out there. Right then that's enough for one night. You're supposed to be the guest of honor. Come on." Newt says as he begins to get up.

"I'm happy where I am." Alexis says in protest.

"Nope come on. Besides we don't bite. No offense." Newt says as he gets up.

"Some taken." Alexis says as she gets up and follows after Newt to some boys standing with food.

"Hey greenie. Good to see you decided to come over." A dark male in a white shirt and brown overalls says.

"You feeling anymore comfortable now?" Another dark male asks.

"Alexis this is Frypan Keeper of the Cooks and Winston Keeper of the Slicers. Guys this is Alexis. Frypan do me a favor and show my friend here what bacon tastes like." Newt says as Frypan tosses Alexis a piece of bacon as she hesitantly tries it.

"Mhm. Didn't know meat that came from human populated areas could taste so good." Alexis says happily as she finishes eating the piece of bacon.

"Eat up greenie. You'll need your strength to work in those fields tomorrow." frypan says as he smiles.

"Follow me Alexis. Still got some introducing to do." Newt says as he and Alexis start to walk off.

"See the greenie likes my pork." Frypan says happily.

"That's because she doesn't know what real food is." Winston says.

"Do those two always talk like that to each other?" Alexis asks as newt looks at her.

"Yeah but it's just harmless teasing." Newt says as he smiles.

"I don't really know much about gardening. I'm not sure how I'll be of help." Alexis says as she looks at Newt.

"Not to worry. We have everyone try every job at least once to see what they're best at before we place them. Over there we've got the builders. Very good with their hands but they're not logged in upstairs. We got two Medjacks Clint and Jeff. They spend most of their time patching up the Slicers." Newt says as he is pointing people out to Alexis.

"Um Newt may I please leave? I just would like some time alone." Alexis says as Newt looks at her.

"If you want. Come find me later and I'll help you set up your hammock." Newt says as Alexis nods and leaves off to take a walk in the woods.