1: Katie

𝐊𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐄'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕April 24th

𝐊𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐄'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕
April 24th

Charlie coughs to break the silence at breakfast, glancing between Bella and I. We're sitting at the table, eating the pancakes made by none other than my uncle himself. When I woke up and saw him cooking (boxed pancakes, albeit), I knew we were in for something confrontational. And, based on the recent events in our house, I assumed it was going to be awkward.

"So..." he trails off, scratching his beard. "What are your plans for the day?"

Bella and I glance at each other quickly. "I was planning on going to the beach today with Jake and his friends," I said, shoveling another bite into my mouth.

"For... anything special?" He raises an eyebrow.

I almost choke. "Not really. Just to walk around. It's supposed to be sunny."

Charlie nods quickly, lost in his own thought. "Bella, you should go with them." He tried not to look too enthused by his idea, but bad acting runs in the family.

Bella and I glance at each other again. Clearly, Charlie is trying to prevent her from seeing Edward again today while also getting us to spend more time together. She's still grounded a month later, having been assigned more responsibility for the whole sneaking off to Italy thing than I was. My sentence was easy, in comparison to the lock-and-key Bella was under. Still, even though Bella's technically grounded, Charlie can't prevent her from seeing Edward at school every day. Not that he was aware, but I was fairly certain Edward stayed over every night.

It was weird to sleep in my own bed again. Since Edward's been back, I haven't ventured to Bella's room, as had been my routine for the months he was gone. Other than the night Jake stayed over, it's been harder and harder to fall asleep. I'm used to lying next to Bella. But, I must admit— I have been sleeping better. Sleeping more. And she hasn't been screaming as much.

"I'm actually working until 6 tonight. But I'm sure Katie and Jake will be fine without me," Bella nods, avoiding eye contact with Charlie.

Charlie grunts and drops his fork. "Well, have fun, I guess," he says as he stands, waving me off. He knows Jake and I are dating now. When I told him a few days ago, he said Billy had told him already. "Just... stay out of Seattle. For the next few weeks, at least. I've read the papers, and there's some sort of mass killing spree there," Charlie frowned, glancing between Bella and I again. "Promise me."

"I promise," Bella says quietly.

"I promise," I reply, offering to take his plate to the sink for him. He hands it over to me without complaint and retreats towards the foyer to grab his jacket and gun.