2: Katie

KATIE'S POVApril 24th

KATIE'S POV
April 24th

When we walk onto the beach, Quil is already setting up a fire pit, of sorts. He's lined a circular space with small stones and has begun collecting dry wood to burn. Around the pit are long logs, stripped of their bark, to serve as benches.

Quil turned a few weeks ago, much to Sam's disappointment. He wasn't upset to welcome Quil, of course, but it meant that the presence of vampires was making the pack continue to grow in size. Already, it was seeming that the tribe's limited members meant that the younger kids would be effected soon. And, with the suffering and adjustment that shifting brought, nobody— least of all Sam and Jake— wanted new members.

"You should have seen Katie's face when Jake ran her in," Embry laughs, clapping Quil on the back. "White as a ghost."

Quil chuckles. "Not going to be a repeat occasion?" He asks, glancing between Jake and I. His grin is large— partially because of the information brought to him, but also because he's finally included with his friends again.

I groan. "Don't remind me. That's how I'll have to get back, too."

Jake rubs my side, another reminder that he's sorry. "You did great," he says comfortingly.

I wave him away. "Sure, sure." It's a line that I stole from him.

He kisses me on the top of my head, redirecting us so that I notice the smaller group a few strides away. There, Jared is sitting beside a girl I don't recognize, playing with the strands of her hair. Paul, a few feet away, is chatting up... Seth Clearwater?

"Seth?" I ask, surprised. "How..."

"Katie?" Seth jumps up excitedly, cutting off Paul mid-sentence. "I haven't seen you since before... well, everything!"

Paul growls in frustration. "Seriously? Katie, how did everyone already know you except me?"

I shrug, ruffling Seth's hair. "Family friends, I suppose." He leans in for a side hug and I accept, ignoring how Jake stills beside me.

"Man, when I heard that you were Jake's imprint, I was seriously jealous. He's so lucky." Jake stays radio silent, but Seth sighs unapologetically. "I mean, he was already head over heels with you before. Now, you should hear his thoughts. Nearly sickening. I want someone like that," he gushes.

"Head over heels, huh?" I tease Jacob.

"Thanks for ratting me out," Jake says to Seth, wrapping him in a headlock. Seth, who's grown, but is still much smaller than Jake, struggles to push him off. With his leverage, however, he manages to pull them both into the sand, where they begin to tackle. It's wet and a bit rocky, but neither boy seems to care, grinning wildly.