pt 1: Avian surprise

"W....wh..."

Your ear twitched as you heard a soft, feminine voice sound from somewhere in front of you.

"What in the...?"

From how small it sounded, you could only assume it was someone that was about the size of your hand. Though they were said to be harmless, you really didn't want to try and mess with any, as you've seen what damage they can do once they get together.

But this was only one. Why would a single micro be so bold as to stick around with something like yourself?

With a snort, you fluttered your eyes open to inspect whomever was brave enough to stand-

"Mm?"

You blinked a few times, wondering if you were actually seeing things correctly.

A bird...?

A rather colorful one at that.

Her body was covered in red feathers, aside from her thighs that were covered in multicolored down feather, as well as a puffy cluster of rainbow feathers on her ankles. Even her long neck was covering in colorful, fluffy feathers. On her head was a mowhawk of multicolored head feathers and behind her fluttered three large tail-feathers to match.

It was as if she was struck by a rainbow itself...

Your brows knit subtly in confusion at the nervous little rainbow avian as she stared up at you with what you can only describe as terror, which only intensified when she saw you've been awakened.

There was a bit of an awkward stare down as you both tried to make sense of what you were seeing.

...

You opened your mouth to say something, but she cut you off with a terrified squawk.

"P-PLEASE!" She dropped to her knees into a prone position, her wings covering her head. "PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!"

Your brow lifted as you stared at the cowering bird. "I... wasn't."

Your voice came out in a near mutter, not wanting to scare her with too loud of a voice. Thankfully, this brought the small bird out of her terror just enough to peek at you from beneath her wings, her visible eyes scanning you in skepticism. "R-R...Really?" She asked in a tiny voice. "H-How do I know you're not trying to trick me...?"

You shook your head, giving a polite closed-lipped smile. "I don't eat civilians. Never have, never will."

Slowly, she uncovered her head, to get a good look at your face, her eyes visibly switching between both your large (color) eyes, looking for sincerity. "A-Are you sure? How do I know you're not fibbing me?"

Your smile faded, and you give her a more soft, sincere expression. "I promise you. I have no intentions of hurting you. I have no reason to." You rested your head back on your arms, your face showing complete relaxation. "I'm only here for some peace and quiet, is all."

Slowly, the bird raises her head. The apprehension was still present on her face, she seemed assured at your words. "I-I... guess... that... makes sense." She said it more to herself as she slowly got back up to her feet.

Your ear flicked at a sudden realization. "Oh. I'm sorry, did you want to sun here?" You lifted your head back up, which made her flinch and step back. "I could go somewhere else if that's the case."

"O-Oh! No no no!" She was quick to answer shaking her head quickly. "I-I was only out on a stroll... you know... it helps to... ease my mind..."

"Ah. I see." A sheepish expression crosses your face. "Sorry if I may have... ruined that."

The bird itched her neck baring a sheepish expression of her own. "W-Well, I wouldn't say you RUINED that... Y-You uhm... may have surprised me a little... but--"

A lighthearted chuckle interrupted her.

"No, I know fear when I see it." You said, Your voice warm with amusement. "I understand, though. It's not often you see a kaiju sunning themselves out in the open like this."

The bird tilted her head. "A Kai...ju?"

You nodded. "Yup. It is Japanese for strange beast. Which is pretty befitting for my kind." You chuckled, though it was notably more dry note to it. "We're pretty much just... giant monsters with more size and strength than we know what to do with." You sighed, a tired look coming over your face as you shook your head. "It's hard not to be scared of a something bigger than you. Especially if it's described as a monster."

"Oh..." You heard the bird reply softly. She was wringing her wings slightly as she took the smallest of steps closer. "W-Well... monster is a bit of a strong word. F-For you, I mean." You looked at her, your eyebrows raised with a bit of surprise. "Monsters are suppose to be... mean and scary." She gave you a skittish smile. "You... aren't."

Your ears perked, and the tip of your tail flicked. "Oh? I'm glad to hear that. Thank you." You raised your head again returning her smile. "My name is (Name), by the way." You rested your chin on your forearms. "May I know yours?"

The bird straightened up, her smile becoming more genuine and perky.

"My name is Poppy."

"Poppy," You repeated. "I like that. Your feathers are red like the flower. And you're just as pretty as one."

"Oh...!" Poppy blinked, seemingly taken aback by the comment, before shying away, letting out a shy giggle. "You're too kind... Y-You're quite... pretty yourself! You have such marvelous wings! So sleek and shiny!"

You giggled, bringing your hands up to rest your head in them. "I try to keep them as clean as possible. Dirty wings make for difficult flight."

"Ah, definitely!" She unconsciously rubs at her wings, as if to dust them off. "Nothing is worse than matted feathers! Or er-- dirty scales in your case."

You chuckled with amusement. "Well, same thing basically; both are quite uncomfortable and makes flying difficult."

"Tell me about it! This reminds me of the time when I first took flight when I was a chick! It's actually rather funny--"