Chapter 15

"It was a different era, very different from today

"It was a different era, very different from today. Salem was a very small place and the people were very... closed-minded." Cassie kept her eyes focused on her leather gloves as she continued, "It was worse than any history book could ever describe it. It was the most terrifying year of my life."

"Girls were getting sick with symptoms that couldn't be explained and suddenly some of them disappeared. Witchcraft became the official cause and the accusations targeted almost everyone in that small town." Willow sat quietly, fully engrossed with Cassie's story. "Being black made my family easy targets. Especially when we practiced an unknown form of medicine that actually worked."

"What do you mean?" Willow questioned as she wrapped her cardigan around herself.

"My mother taught my brother and I all natural forms of medicine. We used plants and other natural ingredients to help with all kinds of illnesses and injuries. Before the witch trials, people from all over Salem would visit us for help when Dr. Griggs couldn't help them."

"Our mother, Martha Lewis, was one of the first accused and executed. I was seventeen at the time and my brother. Jamison was 20. The two of us had to watch our mother hang for helping people because they didn't understand."

"I'm so sorry Cassie." Willow wasn't exactly sure what to say but she could feel her heart breaking and she was sure that if she could, Cassie would be crying. The vampire just shrugged her shoulders in response.

"After that it was just me and Jamison and we continued to try and help people but Jamison was accused after he stopped an infection from spreading in a sick little girl. He escaped custody and ran, leaving me with a note, promising me that he would come back for me."

"Months passed and people were being executed, accused, and disappearing almost everyday. I tried to continue with what my mother had taught me but it had become too dangerous. Even though I enjoyed helping people, I couldn't if they were going to accuse me of practicing witchcraft."

Willow was trying to picture all the chaos that must have ensued during that tragic year, she was trying to remember all of the details she could from her history classes to help her out but nothing she thought of could match the real thing. She honestly couldn't have imagined going through it first hand like Cassie. Willow would never fully be able to understand any of the trials that Cassie has had to go through.

"The Crucible had one major detail completely wrong." Cassie smirked as she spoke, shifting her eyes to lock with Willow's.

"What was that?' Willows asked as she recalled the vague memory of the work she mentioned.

"Abigail Williams was not sleeping with John Proctor. She was sleeping with me." Cassie's smirk grew when saw a smile grace Willow's lips. "As you can imagine that was against everything the Puritans believed in, so when Abigail's uncle caught us, guess who was accused of witchcraft."