Part 9

Stefania POV

TW: Domestic violence

Danielle: Well, we got all night! (She said pouring herself some coffee.)

I feel conflicted. Part of me wants to tell her everything and just let it all out. But another part of me doesn't want to say anything in case she sees me any different. I don't want her to see me as someone who is broken. 

Danielle: Stef? You ok? (She said pulling me out of my thoughts with her hand on my shoulder)

Stefania: Yeah, just thinking. (I said nervous) Can you promise me something? 

Danielle: Yeah of course. (She said taking my hand)

Stefania: If I tell you this part of my life promise me you will not look at me any different. (I said looking down as she was still holding my hand)

Danielle: Stef, I promise you I will not look at you differently. Your past doesn't define who you are. (I Just nodded)

Stefania: Ok. The Nightmares I have are of my husband. (I said looking down at our interwind hands) I Met him when I was living in New York. He worked in the company I used to work for. He was the COO. I used to work as a receptionist. When I first started working there nobody seemed to like him and I never understood why. He was always so nice to me and always brought me coffee in the mornings or lunch. I thought he was just being nice until one day he asked me if I wanted to go out on a date with him. Me being so naive I said yes. We went on our first date, and we hit it off. We went on a couple of dates, and he asked me to be his girlfriend. Again, I agreed. I was just blinded by what I thought was love. After just a year of dating we decided to get married. I knew it was too soon but that's what he wanted, and I wanted to make him happy cause I was young and stupid. The first couple months of marriage were amazing. He took time off to as he said, "just enjoy married life". During that time, I became pregnant with Lucy. At first, he was so happy and excited. A couple days after that he went back to work. Thats when everything changed. He didn't want me to go back to work. He said he wanted me to stay home and take care of our baby. I was reluctant because at the time I loved my job. It wasn't hard or demanding it was just me answering phones. I told him I'll cut back on work but not all the way. He didn't like that, but he agreed. Even though he agreed he would always mention me quitting my job and how I didn't need to work. It became an argument everyday, so I just gave up my job. I did what he wanted me to do and stayed home. He was happy but I was miserable. I hated being home with nothing to do. After leaving my job he would come home late. He would either be drunk or just say he had a long day. One night I confronted him about him always being home late he got mad. He... (I said as I was struggling to breathe)

Danielle: Hey Stef look at me... You are ok now you are safe and he can't hurt you ok? I'm right here. I'm not leaving. Just breath. We don't have to talk about it anymore. (She said with her hands on my face so I can look at her)

Stefania: I... I want to tell you. (I said wiping my tears and taking a breath. She just nodded and held my hands) That night when he came home, he had been drinking. He wasn't drunk like other days, but he had been drinking. When I confronted him, he got so mad. He grabbed my arm and pushed me to the ground. He said I had no right to tell him anything. He said he could do what he wanted because he was the only one working. That was the first time he had ever been physical with me mind you I was pregnant. I didn't have nowhere to go. All my family lived in Italy. Leco My best friend was in Brazil. It's not like he was around the corner. After that thing's kept on getting worse. He would hit me for the slightest things like his clothes not being folded a certain way or his food not being hot enough. He would not let me keep my phone and if my family called, he would be there to make sure I didn't say anything. He spoke Italian so speaking Italian wasn't helpful. After Lucy was born, I tried to leave but somehow, he found out. He beat me till I was unconscious. Next thing I remember is waking up locked in a room. He wouldn't let me see Lucy for almost two weeks. It was torture hearing her cry and not being able to be there. When he finally let me out of the room, he told me that if I ever tried to leave again, he would kill me and Lucy. I was terrified. Things never got better so when Lucy was 5 months old, I decided to try and leave again this time I was successful. I went to the police station and reported him. He got arrested. But I still have this overwhelming fear that when he's out he's going to come looking for us. I know him and backing down is something he doesn't do. (I said starting to pace the kitchen.)

Danielle: Stef listen to me, ok? (She said grabbing my arms so I would stop pacing). You are safe now. I won't let him go anywhere near you or Lucy. I'll always be here for you. If that means that we have to live together forever to make you feel safe then that's what will happen. But trust me when I say that I will be there. What he did to you is so... Ah so infuriating because you didn't deserve that.  You are so strong. Not many women can get themselves out of a situation like that, but you did, and you did it on your own. You should be so proud of yourself for that.  (She said now hugging me)

Stefania: Thankyou bambina. (I said wiping the remaining tears I had) Thank you for everything.

Danielle: you're welcome beautiful. How about we go back to the couch? Or we can head to bed?

Stefania: I won't be able to sleep. You can head to bed Bella. I'll probably stay up. Probably make more coffee answer some emails. (I said grabbing more coffee before she put her hand on mine to stop me)

Danielle: Stef... Not sleeping isn't healthy. It can cause many health issues. When was the last time you slept through the night? And I don't mean an hour I mean a full night's rest. (She asked while still holding my hand and looking at me)

Stefania: I don't actually remember. There's been so much going on. Sleeping just brings me nightmares anyway so why even try? (I said trying to leave but she stopped me)

Danielle: Because you need sleep Stef. Like I said it's not healthy to not sleep. I know the nightmares are there and they are scary but believe me when I say won't let him near you. Please try to sleep for me? (She said giving me puppy eyes that I couldn't say no to) 

Stefania: Fine. (I said while throwing out the rest of the coffee and headed to the guest room where Lucy was at)

After I did my night routine, I went into the room to find Danielle under the covers like she was ready to sleep.

Stefania: Danielle, you don't have to sleep with me. You have your bed in your room.  You can go to bed I'll be fine bambina. (I said with a soft smile)

Danielle: It's ok. I want you to sleep and in order for me to know that you are actually sleeping and not waking up at 2 am to make coffee I'll just stay here now come on. (She said patting the spot net to her. I climbed in bed and put my head on her shoulder. Somehow the sound of her breathing relaxed me)

Stefania: Buona Notte Bella. (I said half asleep)

Danielle: Goodnight beautiful. (She said kissing the top of my head. Before I knew it, I was in a deep sleep)

****************************************
Please comment and like. let me know how you guys are liking it so far 💕