Chapter Six

My eyes lower at the captain's words, unable to control my skepticism

My eyes lower at the captain's words, unable to control my skepticism. Despite what I felt, deep down, I was interested in uncovering whether or not there was any truth to his revelation. As I gazed into his eyes, I could see a sense of burden, as if he had been carrying this secret for a while, and it had been weighing on him. Even so, I knew that the captain would not go into any more details about the mystery behind it, and I quickly remembered that I had no time to go into this. It was simply not my problem.

"And what does that have to me?" I challenged, indifference dripping off each word, making the captain shift in his chair uncomfortably.

"Perhaps we could help each other?" Captain Shelley proposed.

"Why should I help you? All you've done thus far, captain, is kept me imprisoned, treated me like some savage creature, and made threats against my life. If I hadn't agreed to your plan days ago, what would you have done with me? Oh, I remember, sell me to the highest bidder. You aren't to be trusted, and you've proven that. Whatever mess you are dealing with, you are to do so alone." I continued to condemn, insult, and interrogate him, my tone sharp and cutting, and as I recounted what I had been through at the captain's hands, my anger grew. Why help him when he's nothing for me?

"Niri, we both have the same desired outcome; should we combine forces, we will be quite a threat. Besides, I don't wish to harm or hold you captive. Anyway, we should leave. Any more of that ale, and you'll be even wobblier walking than you already are," he stated, downing the last of his cup. Then, he pushed the seat back and stood up.

He was right; the ale had started to affect me, and the claims about its powers had proven true. When I rose to my feet, the room began to spin, but my determination to undermine Captain Shelley would not allow me to show any sign of its affliction. I followed the men outside, and the once bustling street had fallen eerily silent. Those familiar sensations from the day of Triteria's seizure washed over me, a forebodingness that something dreadful was about to occur. I glanced at Captain Shelley and Mr. Gibbs, who seemed oblivious to any concerns as they strolled along merrily and spoke to one another. Suddenly, my head snapped to the side when I heard a low sound, and I peered down an empty, dimly lit side street.

"Captain? Mr. Gibbs?" I tried to warn, but before I could finish, three men emerged, blocking our path. They appeared disheveled, two standing as tall as the captain, while one, who locked eyes with me, stood at my height. The assumed leader positioned himself in front of Captain Shelley, wearing a smug smile as he regarded him before his gaze shifted. He fixed his eyes on me again, draining the color from my face.

"Captain Shelley, 'ow lucky of me to run into the likes of you,' specially since you have been avoidin', ow' do you think that makes me feel?" His deep voice and short words made it hard for me to comprehend what he was saying, but the captain looked entirely unfazed, merely smiling in response.

"Percy Jones! It's been quite some time, my friend!" Captain Shelley exclaimed disconcertingly. From his tone, I could tell that he wasn't very thrilled to be engaging with this character. Lucky for Mr. Gibbs and I, we just happened to be with the captain at the wrong time.