Chapter Thirteen

I am going to kill Mr

I am going to kill Mr. Randall. 

Well, that wasn't the only part of the plan, but chanting in my mind repeatedly, as one does with prayers, helped tame the flames of revenge that burned. I sat against the wall, plotting, my eyes taking every inch of my surroundings. I needed to familiarize myself so that I could plan an attack. After spending the night lying on the floor, drowned in misery, I woke up the next day and got angry. The rage coursed through me, and I was determined to use that anger to free myself. 

Now, the only remaining question was how.

The cell bars that trapped me were strong, and there weren't any holes I could crawl my way through. I would have to steal the key, somehow, and find a way to the governor's quarters before leaving the ship. I refused to leave my compass behind, and so I began strategizing. None of the soldiers came to the cells except early in the morning when one of the guards checked in on me. However, he only ever stood by the door.  Perhaps I could persuade him to approach me and the door using my 'feminine charms.' I had noticed a few times the soldier would nervously glance at me. All I needed to do was get him to open the cell, walk inside, and come enough for me to use my chains against him. However, should my intentions be discovered, a series of terrible outcomes could come to fruition.

It was a risk I decidedly accepted. 

The rest of the day was filled with mental preparation. I sat in silence, replaying the plan over and over in my mind, ensuring that nothing would go unnoticed and overlooked. The sounds of keys triggering the brig's lock made my heart race, but I had no time for nerves. I pushed all negative thoughts aside and prayed that neither the governor nor Randall would reveal themselves coming to taunt me again or try to take liberties. My eyes were fixated on the moving door, and it seemed that time had slowed as I watched it push open.

My anxieties subsided when I saw the guard, but there was something different about his regular demeanor. His eyes were full of fear, and he staggered inside with his hands out in front of him. Why was he acting in such a strange manner? Soon, I heard a shuffling, causing my heart to fall as I realized he wasn't alone. Through squinted eyes, I saw a taller figure hidden in the shadows. Fear paralyzed me. It was Randall, I was sure.

"Niri?" the voice called out. Niri? Randall would never speak in such informalities. I ran to the bars of the cell and gripped them while straining to see. The figure entered the dimly lit room, straight into the light, and I saw him.

Sam.

My Sam.

A silence fell, along with my mouth, bringing forth his signature cheeky smile. Finally, I croaked out, "Sam?"

"What was it that you said before? Ah yes, I remember now; you don't have to sound so surprised," he teased as he sauntered to me. I couldn't believe my eyes. Had I died and not realized it until this very moment? With a clearing of his throat, I shifted to look at Mr. Gibbs, who was at the door. He gave me a brief smile and returned to being lookout. I was still bewildered at the sight of him, of them, alive and standing before me.