Chapter Nine

"Hold 'er still!"

"Hold 'er still!"

"I don't think we should be doin' this..."

"I don't think that ye should be thinkin' about anything besides wot I ordered!"

I fought against the men who held my bound arms, pulling me up the stairs and outside. Once on the main deck, my eyes adjusted. There was light, but it was not yet day. I saw Morgan leading, holding my legs, while the other carried me from behind. There was no use in screaming as I had been gagged. Morgan continuously turned around, smiling viciously, pleased by the sight. The men dropped me to the ground hard and pulled out their weapons.

"Nothin' personal dearie, it's just that ye are much more trouble than ye are worth and leadin' us to our death, which I cannot accept. Ow,' it has to be. But don't worry, we plan on gettin' rid of the good ol' cap'n next," he revealed. My heart briefly paused when they pulled out a long wooden plank that extended over the water. Captain Shelley had been betrayed, and part of me wondered if they were the same people who had stolen the tablets."Alrioght 'eres there deal, ye can either walk the plank, or we tie ye to somethin' heavy and push ye off so that ye sink to the bottom, decide."

My heart raced in fear, but instead of giving them the satisfaction of knowing that, I glared at the men indignantly. The second man was someone I had recognized from the night I was first brought aboard. He had so kindly referred to me as a 'demon,' but looking at him now, his eyes gave away the sorrow and fear that he tried to hide, unlike Morgan, who stared at me with no remorse, no feeling, just blank.

It was an impossible decision to make. I could either jump to my death or be tied to it. Either way, survival wasn't imminent. If I had my necklace, I could easily turn back into a mermaid and swim, but I had no idea how as a human. I wasn't even sure if I could figure out how to float. The sounds of the ocean seemed louder than usual, and I wondered if that was due to the fear of soon being in it. What once used to bring me comfort now terrified me. My eyes looked around, searching for a weapon as my hands continued to pull at the ropes. I just needed to get one free.

"Morgan, I don't know, wot 'bout damnation—"

"Shut up, Smitty: bloody damnation, all the time. I'm sick of hearin' 'bout it," Morgan snapped.

"Wot' if she curses us?" Smitty croaked out, his voice rattling.

"She's not goin' to curse us! Remember, she's human now?"

"But the capt'n! He will—"

"I'm the capt'n now," Morgan whispered harshly. As the two argued, I worked at the rope, feeling it was finally loosening. "The former Captain Shelley had his chance, but he went and got 'imself wrapped up with some unsavory officials. Ye think that Randall not bein' 'ere is a coincidence? No, boyo, Shelley's got himself in trouble again, and I won't be part of it no more. I warned him about messin' with the gov'ment."