Chapter Ten

I returned to my room and collapsed onto the bed, closing my eyes in one fluid motion

I returned to my room and collapsed onto the bed, closing my eyes in one fluid motion. My sore and depleted body was nothing compared to my mind, which needed the most rest. The day had only begun, yet I was already desiring for it to end. After the morning's mutiny, Captain Shelley gave Monsieur Lamoy a proper funeral, allowing his body to be wrapped in fine, shiny cloths and deposited into the ocean along with the two other fallen crew members. I couldn't help but think about how accurate Lamoy had been; it had indeed been his last great adventure, though he never got to complete it. Morgan and Smitty escaped, but not before causing a massive upheaval with the crew. The traitors who had stayed behind were placed in the brig, awaiting their fate. On top of all this, we were getting closer to Dodona Isle, and what uncertainty awaited us once we set foot on it.

Despite the pain and exhaustion, I got up from the bed and sat down in the chair in front of it. I tore a piece of clean rag and soaked it in alcohol, just as Captain Shelley had shown me the other night. Unfortunately, I had become more adept at cleaning the wounds I had sustained since becoming human. Pulling down the shoulder of my nightdress, I began dabbing at the pistol wound. The pain was unbearable, but I remembered what he had said about not wanting wounds to 'fester,' so I pushed through.

Once it was wrapped up, I walked over to the door connecting Captain Shelley's room to mine and lightly knocked on it. He shouted, 'Come in,' and I pulled it open. Inside, Captain Shelley sat at his table with a drink in front of him, holding a blood-stained rag to his face. He lowered it and looked up at me, still unreadable. I walked inside and sat down in the chair directly across from him.

"I'm sorry about Monsieur Lamoy; he was a very kind man," I gave my condolences while placing a hand on my chest. Captain Shelley nodded and slid an empty cup along with the bottle of whiskey across the table to me. I poured a drink, and he raised his cup.

"To Lamoy, may the ocean gods welcome him with open arms," he toasted and downed the contents of his cup. I mimicked the same movement.

"Captain, why did Morgan have qualms about Mr. Randall? And speaking of Randall, where is he?" As I began my investigation,  many questions burned inside me, but the captain did not seem as interested or willing to answer them.

"It's not important," he brushed it off, and I angrily stood from the table.

"It is important! Does this have any relation to why we left Port Royal in such a hurry? You're hiding something, and I know it." The captain shut his eyes and groaned angrily, causing me to pause briefly.

"Niri, today is not the day for this."

"We've almost reached Dodona Isle, captain. If you expect me to take your crew ashore, then I need to know that you are not planning on crossing me. What is a 'government' and 'governor'? Why was your friendship with Randall called into question? What kind of trouble are you in?" I ranted frantically.

"Stop, Niri!" he roared, slamming his hands down on the table. I lowered my eyes at his childish reaction, looking down at him.

"We all just risked our lives for you, Captain Shelley. We deserve to know if Morgan's accusations speak some truth to them. Do not keep us in the dark with what you've brought upon this ship." I turned to walk toward the door.