Chapter 6

It wasn't the best morning for me but I still have to look as if nothing happened. Just as usual, some girls greeted me on my way to the school building. Hindi ko magawang i-entertain si Maya sa mga kwento niya. I just simply don't have the energy.

To truly start the day off right, I awaited our morning break. Even though I was mostly silent, Maya joined me. When I sensed the meal moving through my body, doon lang ako nagkaroon ng lakas para ikwento sa kanya ang lahat.

I told Maya the whole truth. From the beginning until this morning. When she learned what was happening to me, she was in complete disbelief.

"And it's been chaos, I'm telling you, Maya. A real, real disaster. Ngayong umaga lang, ang ingay nila. They were making a fuss about smoothies," I sighed.

"T-That sounds horribly trying," she said. "I mean, everyone is trying hard to get your attention."

"Hindi lang 'yon, Maya. Why on earth grandpa would want to pair me with a marriage fraud, a gabbling addict, a seducer, and a debt generator?!"

I did my best to maintain my composure. But just the idea of having to bring them up again made my blood boil. They were all gold-diggers! I absolutely believed it!

Holding the fork, I stab the shrimp on my plate after glancing at it, then I rough-chew it.

"P-Please, Selene. The poor shrimp did nothing wrong."

"Tapos sasabihin pa sa akin ni lolo na pumili ako kung sino ang gusto ko sa kanila. Well, I don't want any of them!"

Maya seemed to be feeling sorry for the shrimp on my dish, which I keep piercing with the fork. I slumped on my seat and looked at Maya. She put her hands together and then turned to me with a curious expression.

"The more I learn about your mischief, the stranger and stranger it sounds."

"What's so strange about it?" I want to know what she thinks.

"Technically, isa sa kanila ang posibleng maging head ng pamilya Mortezo. Why did he decide to select a set of controversy magnets?"

I wondered about that too. Gusto niyang magpakasal na ako pero bakit pumili siya mga lalaking problema lang ang dala? Even after thinking about it over and over, hindi ko mapunto kung ano ang balak niya.

"The only logical reason I could think of is that he's using my misery as a source of entertainment."

"Are you sure about that?" I stopped thinking for a moment. What else could it be? "Alam kong matagal na kayong may hindi pagkakaintindihan ng lolo mo but he has never acted in poor taste," she smiled a bit. "There must be a valid reason for this, I'm certain of it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that aim may be."

I get what she meant. Honestly, naniniwala din naman ako na hindi ginawa ni lolo ito para lang matuwa sa paghihirap ko. I just can't think of any reason other than that.

"You may say that because you and Grandpa get along well and he seems to really like you."

"Although that's true. He is kind to me but only because we're friends, Selene."

"It's not just that." Grandpa likes her because she reminds her of my grandma.

"You mean because I look like your young grandma," she laughed. "I can't say how true that might be."

"Not just that. Grandpa likes you because you're a proper women, Maya. I know he wishes to have a grandchild like you."Maya grinned wryly at my sour tone of voice.

"I have to disagree, Selene. I know he's mean at you but I believe, he cared deeply for you and I both."

This is one of the reason why I could say Maya is a proper woman. We're nothing alike. "No he doesn't." My hands clenched into fists, and I almost yelled.

"Why would he do such a terrible thing to someone he truly cares about?"

Maya noticed my hands trembling and said nothing. She just gave me a faint smile. Wala na rin akong gustong sabihin pa, so I simply turned back to eating.

I started to regret my earlier outburst as I attempted to eat what's left on my plate. This is awkward. Maya is my only friend at ayokong magkaroon kami ng hindi pagkakaunawaan.

"By the way, Selene. I'll be honest, there is something about your four suitors that left me highly concerned," she thankfully broke the silence between us. I straightened my posture and gave her my full attention.

After a heavy paused, she said, "So, tell me, Selene... which one is your type?"

I titled my head and blinked several times. After all what she heard, she's now concerned for who's the one I like?

I massaged my temple. I felt like I'd been struck silent, more than in the last twenty-four hours of my life. "I mean, from what I saw at the front gate yesterday morning, each of them were handsome in their own way." She squealed a little before going on. "Plus, they all proposed to you. Now, you live under one roof! Aah! I can't help to think, which of the four prices will capture the princess heat?"

Why didn't I saw this coming? I knew for a certain that Maya loves romantic books and movies. For sure, she sees my situation something similar to what she picked from those.

"Kakasabi mo lang kanina, Maya, those men were controversy magnets."

"I know but, past is past and their proposal are different, it's for the future! This is the perfect opportunity for you to finally spice things up in your life."

"Spice things up?"

She nodded. "You're nearly perfect, Selene. But there is one thing you lack, I'm afraid." I gave her a questioning look. "A sense of romance!"

I smiled but in reality I'm getting annoyed.

"Think about this, magkakasama kayo sa iisang bahay, why not experiment a little and enjoy a little romance... maybe two?" She looked at me with a bright smile on her face, but I was speechless yet again.

Maybe she wasn't really paying attention to my rants. I just told her I wanted to avoid those men. How did that turn into a discussion about romance?

"But if I will do that, hindi ba parang pinaglalaruan ko lang sila?"

"Exactly. Once you've had your fun, simply dump them. Suave solution to your problems." I didn't knew that Maya could be brutal. "Just kidding! Well, mostly."

Lalo lang niyang pinagulo ang isip ko. "But really, if you need a plan, you'll need information first. Bakit hindi ka muna makipag-close sa kanila, just to see what you can learn."

"Information..."

"Yes! And if it goes well, baka malaman mo pa ang totoong rason ng lolo mo behind everything."

She has a point.

Hugo's reports only gave me vital information. Knowing how meticulous he is, he would not give me a thoughtless report. I know he would help me as much as he can, but it was possible he was being restricted.

And if that's the case, I'm afraid Maya was right. Kung gusto kong malaman ang lahat tungkol sa kanilang apat, I'd have to find it out myself.