Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Shoya Todoroki - Past 1

Death....

Death...

Death..

Death.

It was the first time for Shoya to witness this strange ritual, where a human lying in a coffin and people wearing black walking into their house like they own the place and stare at the coffin like they lost every reason to live on.

Shoya looked down at his younger twin brother Touya, who was sobbing into his chest and clutching the black cloth Shoya was wearing.

"She... gramma wash amaching hero, right?" Touya looked up, asked in his hoarse voice, "So why bwad people kwill her?"

Shoya narrowed his eyes down at his twin. Without responding, he pushed Touya's head back into his chest and held him there.

Seriously!? Did his twin brother not felt the embarrassment of crying loudly in a silent occasion? And that childish attempt to talk and the bad grammar... Shoya pressed his lips together to not laugh out loud.

Another cry from beside him turned Shoya's attention towards their mother, who was screaming into their father's chest.

Unlike most of everyone who has experienced infantile amnesia, Shoya was born different. He was born with superior memory or hyperthymesia, which means he had memories from his childbirth.

And to support his superior memory, his mind was twice as sharp to grasp everything around him completely like a sponge. It was really a curse and blessing.

Shoya would remember painful events from his childhood which other kids could forget. On the other hand, those who underestimated him as a kid would never get their way with him in the future. And that includes his father.

He still remember how Enji shouted at their frightened mother to give birth to another child as a backup plan and not abort the pregnancy.

Of course, Shoya didn't understand some words but he got the meaning. His father was up to something by producing more children and he is...a dangerous man.

A thought a child should never encounter.

Shoya watched his father gently caressing Rei's hair, as an act of comfort.

It was all an ACT!

Shoya had seen the true colours of Enji to be swayed by some mere acts that were playing out in the presence of the guests.

He turned his attention back into the woman lying in the coffin. Shoya did not have many memories of her, but the memories they had together were worth remembering.

Their grandmother...who was close to retiring from being a hero, had been killed in an villain attack.

She was an amazing hero with an amazing quirk, that could control gravity.

The almost two years old twins watched their grandmother's pale face until the lid was put over the coffin.

∆∆∆

The next three months were silent, literally. Until one day, Shoya's mother had a terrible stomach ache and was admitted into a hospital.

He and Touya were left alone in the house along with some security guards. And next day Enji came back with a 'happy' news.

"You two now have a younger sister." Enji said indifferently.

His father didn't look half excited as he did when threatening their mom. Shoya thought as he and Touya started their way towards the hospital where their mother was.

When they reached, Shoya couldn't hide his smile. The baby was cute, with white Tufts of hair like his. Shoya imagined the far future where his kid sister grew up into a beautiful woman and him and Touya would terrify the boyfriend she would have...

"Butiful..." Slipped Shoya's mouth and he immediately bit his tongue, embarrassed. Looks like his tongue is still not ready to voice out his mature thoughts.

His mother smiled at the cuteness, while his younger brother rejoiced hearing another rare word that came out of his mouth. His father just smirked proudly, probably for the same reason as Touya.

Everything was going normal for the Todoroki family until the elder kids hit their fourth year.

The day when their quirk manifested.

Touya was diagnosed with the stronger version of Enji's fire quirk.

And Shoya was diagnosed with the more stronger version of his grandmother's quirk. Gravity.

He couldn't even celebrate his fourth birthday. The moment they returned from the hospital, Enji left Touya, Rei and their kid sister Fuyumi at the door and dragged Shoya towards one of the training grounds in the big house.

They all had shocked expressions on their faces but they were too scared to stop Enji, who wouldn't even hesitate to beat up his wife.

Shoya looked up at his father and his eyes widened. There was that look in Enji's eyes. His father was grinning like a madman.

"You and Touya would do just fine. But, you are my prize, Shoya." Enji laughed.

Even though the laugh was filled with happiness, Shoya felt dread creep into every cell of his body.

He knew the moment Enji threw him into the training room and locked him there, that his life would never be the same again.

Enji's words before the door locked confirmed his fears.

"You will stay here from now onwards. If not, your time will be wasted with others interfering. I promise you, I'll make you the number one hero. You will surpass All Might!"

(879 words)

To be continued...