Chapter 10

*******************

*******************

Sanemi had been feeling unusually lonely these days. It wasn’t that he wasn’t used to solitude in his own home, but after Y/n had stayed with him for over a month, he had grown accustomed to her presence and her constant chatter. He had even picked up some of her habits, like saying 'Tadaima' when he came home and praying before his meals.

When Y/n was around, his house felt more like a home, and sharing those four walls with her had brought him comfort. Even his crow, Sorai, had taken a liking to her. Sorai, who never asked for head pats, would often come near Sanemi, presenting his head for a pat. Sanemi, however, would just push Sorai away, grumbling under his breath.

Today, with no missions assigned, Sanemi decided to visit Y/n. He missed her and wanted to see her. So, he sprinted off with Sorai following, even though he hadn’t specifically commanded his crow to come along. Just a few days ago, Sanemi had imagined what life would be like if he were married to Y/n. The thought filled him with an unknown warmth and comfort, making him feel giddy and ecstatic. He knew he had to give her time, as she had just begun to walk on her own, free from the fear of her past. He decided to wait for the right time to ask for her hand in marriage.

Finally, he arrived at the Kocho residence. He knocked twice on the door before opening it, knowing the people inside would be too busy to answer. He couldn’t wait to meet Y/n. As usual, the Kakushis shivered when they saw Sanemi walking down the hall.

“Where’s Y/n’s cabin?” he asked in a low, gruff voice. A trembling Kakushi pointed toward a cabin down the hall.

Sanemi walked off but then stopped and turned back, his brooding eyes staring at the poor Kakushi who shivered under his dominant gaze. “Ari-Arigato,” Sanemi mumbled angrily before walking off, leaving the Kakushi and the others who witnessed the scene dumbfounded.

“Did the Wind Hashira just say arigato?” one Kakushi asked another, who nodded slowly before running away. The others remained shocked by Sanemi’s sudden change in behavior.

**

Sanemi cleared his throat as he stood in front of Y/n’s cabin door. He inhaled deeply, knocked twice, and then opened the door. Y/n wasn’t in her cabin, but her books were sprawled across her desk. Grumbling under his breath, he stacked the books neatly before leaving to search for her.

He glared at any Kakushi he encountered as he searched the entire mansion but found no sign of Y/n. Frustrated, he sat on the engawa, resting his head on his hand.

“Where’s Y/n?” he asked, sensing the presence of the Butterfly Hashira, who smiled and giggled at his question.

“You don’t know? Y/n, along with Rengoku and Uzui, is on a mission. Oyakatasama sanctioned her a permit to join missions,” she said. Sanemi had already left before she finished her sentence, leaving a breeze in his wake.

“As fast as the wind,” she muttered, closing the doors to the engawa as evening approached.

**

Y/n had sent a letter to Sanemi about her mission with the two Hashiras, hoping it had reached him. She had recently been granted permission by the Master of the Demon Slayer Corps to join missions, providing immediate medical attention if needed.

Now, she was heading to a village with the Sound Hashira and the Flame Hashira, where demonic activities had been reported. She felt nervous but reassured by the presence of the two capable men.

As they walked, Y/n couldn't help but admire the camaraderie between the two Hashiras. Their banter and easy confidence put her at ease, despite the grim task ahead.

“So, Y/n-san, would you like to become my fourth wife?” Uzui asked, making Y/n’s eyes turn into two black dots before she giggled and shook her head.

“I’m not interested. I decline,” she said, and Uzui dramatically rolled his eyes, clutching his uniform over his heart. She laughed, and Rengoku joined in.

“Y/n-san, I heard you were married?” Rengoku asked gently. Y/n blinked, looking at him. He was about to apologize when she answered, “Yes, I was, but it wasn’t a successful one.” She smiled sadly, and Rengoku patted her head in a brotherly manner.

“You deserve better,” he said, and Y/n smiled at his response.

“Whoever that was must have been a scumbag!” Uzui scoffed, raising his chin, and Y/n giggled.

“He surely was,” she whispered, and both the Sound and Flame Hashiras laughed.

They arrived at the village entrance, and Y/n shivered at the sight. The village looked like a barren land, with destroyed houses and dried trees. The scent of blood was so strong that Y/n felt nauseous, but she covered her face with a mask Shinobu had provided, knowing what state the village would be in.

As they moved cautiously through the desolate village, the eerie silence was occasionally broken by the distant sound of crows. The scene was a stark contrast to the lively discussions they had shared on their way.

“Is there any life left here?” Uzui asked, frowning. Y/n shook her head.

“The scent of blood is strong, so there must be at least some wounded people who need our help,” she hypothesized, and both Hashiras nodded.

“Okay, I’ll go with Y/n-san. Rengoku, you go that way,” Uzui said, pointing in the opposite direction. Kyojuro nodded and ran off. Uzui looked back at Y/n reassuringly and began walking, with her following behind him.

“Stay behind me, Y/n-san,” he instructed. When he got no response, he turned around, his eyes widening.

“Y/n-san?” Uzui frowned, seeing only mist but no Y/n.

“Shit!” he cursed.

***********