Chapter 12

*****************

Sanemi, Uzui, and Rengoku decided to stay in the same village, knowing that they couldn't complete their mission until Y/n woke up. Three hours had passed since Sanemi had given her the pill, and her temperature had finally returned to normal. The tension in the air was palpable as the three men watched over her, each silently praying for her recovery.

A faint hum escaped Y/n’s lips, signaling that she was beginning to wake. Sanemi exhaled a long sigh of relief, his hand gently caressing her back. Slowly, Y/n’s eyes fluttered open, her gaze meeting the three concerned faces that were intently staring back at her.

"Y/n, are you okay?" Sanemi’s voice was soft, almost tender, as he searched her face for any sign of lingering pain or discomfort. Y/n blinked, her eyes focusing on him for a moment before she nodded weakly. The fog of sleep began to lift as she took in her surroundings, the memory of their mission flooding back into her mind with a sudden jolt.

"What about the casualties?" she asked, her voice tinged with dread. Uzui’s expression darkened as he shook his head.

"We only found ten villagers who were still alive, though they were badly wounded. The rest..." His voice trailed off, heavy with the weight of the unspoken words.Y/n’s heart sank at the news, and she slowly sat up, the gravity of the situation pressing down on her. As she moved, she suddenly realized she had been sitting on Sanemi's lap the entire time. Her cheeks flushed a deep crimson as she quickly scrambled off, her embarrassment evident in the way she avoided his gaze.

"Ari-arigato." Y/n whispered, her voice barely audible as she gathered herself. She then fell in step behind Uzui, who began leading her toward the injured villagers. Her movements were steady, but there was a stiffness to her gait that didn’t go unnoticed by the others.

As Y/n walked away, Rengoku watched her with a thoughtful expression before turning to Sanemi. "She seems to be holding up well," he commented, though a slight frown creased his brow as he noted the concern etched on Sanemi's face. The way Sanemi’s eyes followed Y/n's retreating figure spoke volumes.

"She’s not," Sanemi murmured, his voice low and laced with a worry he rarely let show. His gaze remained fixed on Y/n, watching as she moved farther away. Despite her outward composure, he could sense the turmoil beneath the surface—an unease that hadn’t left her since she awoke.

**

All the injured villagers had been treated and were now being sent off in carriages, heading to the places where they had said their families were waiting for them. Y/n stood by the roadside, waving at a young boy who had been among the injured. The boy, despite his wounds, had displayed an unwavering spirit, and it was no surprise that he had healed faster than the others. His determination had been an inspiration to everyone, including Y/n, who watched him with a bittersweet smile as he disappeared down the road.