The Crystal Keepers: 8 *

"Any tips?" I asked while we were waiting in line. One boy waited ahead of me.
"Too many tips would spoil the experiment," Luri said. "If you want to block an attack with your bat, you need to swing hard. The bot pushes through wimpy blocks. You probably noticed that it speeds up after you hit three targets."
Jace gave me his helmet and vest.
"Just one prize?" Cole asked.
Luri nodded. "You have to hit all five targets to get a prize file. And if I'm paying, I keep it."
"What do I get?" I asked, adjusting the chin strap on the helmet.
"A free game," Luri said.
Jace held out the candy bar he won to me and Cole. "Wanna split it?"
"Sure," I said.
The word "ZOWIE" was printed across the foil wrapper. I flipped it over and read the back:

Ingredients: Camels, microscopes, yams, hydrogen, coral reefs, mannequins, poems, comets, mousetraps, sarcasm, cacti, labyrinths;
contains less than 2% uranium, cyanide, cobwebs, magma, polio

Laughing, I read the ingredients aloud to Jace and Cole.
"I've never tried camel," Jace said dryly.
"I hear sarcasm is good," I replied, tearing open the wrapper. Inside I found a bar made of puffed rice drenched in chocolate. I broke the bar into thirds and handed them to Jace and Cole.
I took a bite. The bar was crunchy and not very dense, but quite tasty. Cole and Jace tried a bite as well.
"I don't taste the yams." Jace said.
"Or the mousetraps," Cole added.
"Have you guys seriously never had a Zowie bar?" the girl asked.
"Are we that obvious?" I grumbled.
The kid ahead of us got hit by the robot's padded club, and the lights in the cube dimmed.
He had lasted a little while by hanging back and staying defensive but hadn't struck a single target. I had noticed some opportunities the kid had missed.
Luri displayed her ID card. "I need yours as collateral."
I traded cards with her.
"Brooke?" she asked. I nodded.
"Go get that prize," Jace said. "Five targets."
"Like taking candy from a robot," I said, flashing him a quick smile as I stepped into the cube.
As I was waiting for the game to start up, I overheard Jace talking to Roulette.
"How do you think she'll do?" Roulette asked.
Jace smiled. "She's gonna win it. She's smart, quick, and a good fighter. This is nothing for her."
I fought off a huge smiled that threatened to take over my face. Jace believing in me meant a lot. I held up Luri's ID card and the door closed and the cube brightened. The cylindrical robot assumed. fighting position, both club-wielding arms ready.
As a bystander, I had seen some openings I though I could exploit. Now that I stood facing the robot, the opportunities seemed less obvious. Those padded arms were long and agile and quick. I swallowed my nerves. I had once killed a cyclops. I had fought plenty of enemies with my life on the line. I should relax and have fun with this. It wasn't life or death.
But Jace was watching.
That made me nervous.
I edged forward, the bat ready. I considered the five illuminated targets on the robot. The lower two might be harder to hit, which meant I should take them out early, before the robot sped up.
The robot swung at me. I raised my bat as if to block the club but ducked it instead, racing in close and bashing the other club aside before crouching to hit one of the lower targets.
Instead of standing my ground or backing away like the other players had, I raced past the robot, turning in time to slap aside the attacking clubs, and I managed to hit another target. The robot was really coming after me now. Minimus had given me some combat training when we were together, but I knew I was still no master swordsman. When both clubs came at me from opposite sides, I dove forward, rolled, and struck another target. I ducked another swing and hit another target. Only one left. I ducked another swing and dove under another arm and hit the last target. The arms froze, and a little disc came out of the slot in the wall, and I grabbed it on the way out.
Jace grinned at Roulette. "Told you."
"That was pretty good, for a rookie anyway." Luri said as I removed my helmet. "Nice job."
Cole gave me a high five, before proceeding to ask Luri questions about the game.
Jace turned to me and gave a soft smile. "That's my girl. I knew you could do it. You made that look easy."
I just grinned back at him.
Luri came back over to us with Cole. "Any girl that can take out five target is my kind of girl. Not many people can."
I smiled back at her.
"I'll try it," Jace offered.
Lira smirked. "You can't win this one through a willingness to take a beating."
"Maybe you should show us how it's done," Jace suggested.
Luri shrugged. "I'll show you one way." She accepted her ID card from me and returned my own, then claimed my helmet and vest.
"Think she'll be good?" Jace asked as the door closed and the cube brightened.
"She talks like it," Cole replied. "I guess we'll see."
Luri stalked confidently toward the cylindrical robot with the bat at her side. She only raised it to deflect attacks.
Her stride never sped up or slowed down. Her attacks were undoubtedly more coordinated than mine. When she was close enough, without moving her feet much, she alternately hammered targets and smashed attacks away. Her padded bat swished through the air quickly and accurately: target-block-block-target-block-block-block-block-target-block-target-target.
I stared in astonishment. Her last three attacks were particularly quick, denying the robot any time to speed up.
After she struck the last target, the robot went slack while lights pulsed and sparkled. Luri waited until a prize file emerged from the wall of the game. She retrieved it, then casually walked away.
"That was amazing," Cole gushed.
I nodded. "You made it look easy."
"You did just as good," she replied. "Or maybe it is easy, and you're just good at it."
"Come on," Jace said. "I'm sure practice helps."
Luri gave a little shrug. "Probably. Still, a lot of people never get the hang of it. The owners prefer for me to play the toughest games on the hardest settings. I could take advantage of them by winning the easier games nonstop, but then they'd ban me, so that isn't really winning. They don't mind if I beat a few easy ones now and then. It gives the other players hope.
"Are you the best player?" Cole asked.
"Nope," she said. "One of the best, maybe. The best is Trickster."
"What's the hardest game?" Jace asked.
"P'Tang," Luri said. "Want to check it out?"
"Sure," I said.
Luri led us across the floor, passing numerous shooting and fighting games. At large tables, players manipulated the positions of their tiny soldiers and traded taking shots at the opposing army. Others guided metal balls through three-dimensional mazes with what had to be magnetic controls. Against a side wall stretched a huge obstacle course where players risked falling into a foam pit. asked.
"What post did you guys come from this morning?" Luri asked.
"Who cares?" Jace replied.
"I'm interested," she said. "Give me a number."
"We're trying to leave some trouble behind," I said.
"Trouble with . . . patrolmen?"
"Maybe," I replied.
"I love that kind of trouble," Luri said cheerily.
"Come on, spill. What are you guys really doing here?"
"We're just checking out the place," Jace said.
"We don't want a lot of attention."
"Too late," she said. "You have mine. Go on.
Talk."
I glanced at Jace and Cole, who both looked uncertain.
"What if you're spying for them?" Cole blurted.
She laughed derisively. "As if the City Patrol were smart enough to use kids! Give me a break."
"You don't like the patrolmen?" Cole asked.
She stopped walking. Her mood became serious. "What are you guys looking for? I can help you. Just tell me. Or tell me where you came from. Or what you're running from."
I took a deep breath. "Have you heard of the Crystal Keepers?"
"I knew it!" Luri said, her smile wide. "What's his name?"
"Who?" I asked.
"The guy who got arrested," she said. "His name."
"What do you mean?" Jace asked innocently.
Luri shook her head. "It's good to be careful, but it's pointless right now. I just have to confirm this. I know his name. What is it?"
"Joe." I said.
"There we go," she said gratefully. "Last name?"
"You give us the last name," I insisted.
"I'll give you half," she said. "Mac . . . "
" . . . Farland," I completed.
"I take it his alias was somebody Boone?" Luri asked. "And you were posing as his relatives?"
"How do you know so much?" I asked.
"I'm not Luri," she said. "Not any more than you're Brooke, he's Hampton or he's Bubba. I go by Roulette." She lowered her voice. "I'm one of the Crystal Keepers."
"You're a kid," Jace said.
"And you're about to get promoted to master detective," she said, tapping him on the nose.
"For the record, you're all a few years younger than me."
Cole edged close to her and whispered, "Joe told us to come here and find the Crystal Keepers. We need to contact the Unseen."
Roulette backed away and punched his shoulder lightly. "Don't act so secretive. It draws attention."
"We keep trying to tell him," Jace said.
"Nobody cares what a couple of kids are saying at a gaming hub," Roulette said. "Unless maybe they look suspicious. Where's the girl? Is it
you?"
I glanced at Jace and Cole.
"I'm on your side," Roulette said. "I don't know who she is. I don't need to know. All I know is she matters. This came from the top, and it came fast. The patrolmen know some kids fled when Joe was taken, but they consider it a low priority. Our leaders feel otherwise. They care more about the girl than anything."
"It's not me," I confessed.
"She's not with us," Jace said. "We scattered. We think she got away. She knows to come here."
"That's good news," Roulette said. "City Patrol hasn't picked her up. Just Joe."
"You're sure?" Jace asked.
"We have sources."
"Do you know Joe?" I asked.
"A little," she said. "He's from Outside. An accidental transplant to the Outskirts. Like you."
"Me?" I asked innocently. After a moment, I wondered, "Do you think we can help Joe?" Roulette scratched the back of her head. "They took him to City Patrol HQ. It would be tricky."
"Where's the rest of your crew?" Jace asked.
"Around," she said. "Some of them, at least.
Things have gotten complicated over the past several weeks."
"Complicated how?" Jace wondered.
"Harder to operate," Roulette said. "Some people got caught. A bunch more went deep into hiding. The Grand Shaper has been cracking down like never before."
"Sorry to hear it," Cole said.
"You didn't approach us by accident," Jace said.
"You were watching for us."
Roulette batted her eyes. "Be glad I was. You three were kind of standing out."
"Is it dangerous here?" Cole asked.
"Less dangerous than most places," Roulette said. "Nowhere is safe. This is mostly a hangout for kids. The City Patrol knows kids get up to mischief sometimes, but they don't take us seriously. That's good for the resistance. We can still move around freely."
"Are all the Crystal Keepers kids?" I asked.
"That's the idea," Roulette said. "Maybe you can join. You've got potential. Depends what the higher-ups want. Let's check out P'Tang" She started walking.
"What about the girl?" Jace asked, the three of us staying beside her. "Should we go look for her?"
"Others are watching for her," Roulette said.
"Where'd you get off the monorail?"
"Hanover Station," Jace said. "She got out at
Canal."
"That's kind of far," Roulette said. "Does she have credits she can use?"
"No," Jace said.
"But she knows to come here?" she checked.
"Right," Jace said. "She knows the name of this place and the street."
"She could take lots of routes," Roulette said.
"Your safest bet is to wait for her to show up here. If we go out looking, we'll probably miss her. Is she competent?"
"Yes," I said.
"She'll show. Let's play."
"Why do you care so much about playing?" Cole asked.
"We're at a gaming hub, genius," Roulette said.
"If you want to fit in, you play games. It's a bonus
of having an ID card you can use."
Against the back wall of the gaming hub, beneath a brilliant P'TANG sign, a wall of crystal let onlookers see into a series of identical rooms. Except for the transparent the floors, walls, and ceilings were covered in gray panels.
A number of fist-size holes pocked the floor and ceiling, and larger holes of varied sizes gaped in the far wall, labeled with numbers from twenty to one hundred.
"Here's an empty court," Roulette said, approaching a room. From a nearby bin, Roulette claimed elbow pads, knee pads, goggles, and a pair of paddles to go with her padded vest and helmet. The long, rectangular paddles matched the color of the gray panels in the room and looked like the perfect instruments to provide a memorable spanking.
The handles made me think of tennis rackets.
"Two paddles?" Jace asked.
"I'm a lefty, so the left one is for offense," she said. "The right is mostly for defense. But I sometimes score right-handed. In this game, you keep going until a ball hits you."
Roulette entered the room and used her ID card to close the door. She went to the center of the court, clapped her paddles together, and light flashed from a nearby hole in the floor. A ball emerged and hovered at about shoulder height.
It looked to be made of black rubber and was about the size of a racquetball. Slapping the ball with her paddle, she sent it through a medium-size hole in the rear wall and fifty points appeared on her scoreboard. After three more flashes, three more balls were in play.
For every ball Roulette hit into a hole, two or three emerged. The room started to get busy.
Whenever she missed a hole, the ball ricocheted around. She moved quickly and competently, scoring often. As the flurry of balls increased, Roulette began to take fewer shots and defended herself more. She had to deal with each new ball coming at her, plus the random balls that had missed holes bouncing around.
Occasionally a ball slipped through a hole by accident, increasing her score.
Before too long, a stray ball hit her leg, the lighting in the room dimmed, and all the balls in play fell to the floor, bouncing less than I would have expected. Her score read 1160. She left the room.
"Not my best score," Roulette said. "Not enough for a prize. But it shows you how the game is played."
"How do the balls float?" I asked.
"Sophisticated magnetics," she said. "P'Tang has the best tech of any game here."
"How do magnets work on rubber?" I asked.
"The balls have metal cores," she said. "The real magic is inside the walls and floor and ceiling."
She turned to Cole. "Want to try?"
"It has to take lots of practice," Cole hedged.
"Consider this your first practice," Roulette said. "It's great for hand-eye coordination, reflex conditioning, spatial awareness, multitasking, so many benefits."
"Why not?" Cole said.
She gave him her protective gear and paddles.
"Be careful not to smack the balls too hard,"
Roulette warned. "The magnetics are set so they never slow down. You can get in trouble fast."
"Is there a limit to how many balls can get going at once?" Cole asked.
"The court supports up to a hundred," Roulette said. "It won't spit out more until less than a hundred are in play. I just got up to about forty.
I'll be impressed if you reach ten."
"What's the most balls you've had going?" Jace asked.
"Eighty-seven," she said.
"What about Trickster?" Jace asked.
"He can last for a while with a hundred in play." Roulette said. "He's tidy."
"Tidy?" I asked.
"You know," Roulette said. "Cool. Skilled. Tidy." Me and Cole shared a weird look. The slang was way different than on Earth.
"Is he a Crystal Keeper?" Jace asked.
"One of the best," she said.
"You said he was the very best," Jace reminded
her.
"At the games," Roulette said with a grin.
"I get it," Jace said. "You're the best out in the real world."
"Maybe," she mused. "You said it, not me."
With the protective gear in place, Cole held out his ID card.
"Keep yours," Roulette said, handing him hers.
"Having fun?" a voice asked from behind us.
Whirling, I found Dalton and Mira standing there.
"You made it!" Cole exclaimed.
I felt a heavy weight of anxiety lifting of my shoulders. They were safe!
Dalton grinned. "I was worried you might be looking for us. I'm glad you got to play some sweet games."
Cole looked down at himself. "I was just blending in."
Dalton looked him up and down. "This is probably the only place in the world where that outfit would seem normal. You look like a walking marshmallow."
Jace frowned. "What's a marshmallow?"
I gaped at him. "Seriously? As soon as we finish this thing, I'm taking you out and showing you all the stuff you're missing out on."
A slow smile spread across his face. "Did Kendal Anderson just ask me on a date?"
"I . . . You . . ." I stammered. "Shut up."
"I'm not hearing a no," he said.
I flicked his bruised shoulder and he winced.
Mira gave me a look. Smooth.
I gave her a less than friendly gesture. Jace seemed to be unable to wipe the smile off his face.
"So," Cole said awkwardly. "You guys made good time."
"We came together," Mira said. "We found each other as we left the station."
"Mira is brilliant," Dalton said. "After we figured out how the levcars work, she told us an older guy out on the street that we were supposed to meet our parents at Hanover Station but used up our credits going to the wrong place. He let us ride with him to Hanover, then we came here."
"You got to ride in one of those cars!" I exclaimed.
"It was freaky," Dalton said. "It seems like you're always about to crash."
"You guys are okay?" Cole checked.
"We got away fine," Dalton said. "No real trouble."
A boy and girl stood with them who I hadn't met yet. They both looked fourteen or fifteen.
"This is Bluff and Dazzle," Roulette explained.
Bluff had his hair shaved short and stood half a head taller than Jace. He looked serious and tough. Dazzle had a dark complexion, fair hair, and light eyes. She was built short and strong, like a gymnast.
"More Crystal Keepers?" Cole asked.
Bluff gave a small nod. "Call us CKs in public."
"We're supposed to take her straight to zerobase," Dazzle said.
"I heard," Roulette replied. "They're not kidding about her. I wonder who she is?"
"I'm right here!" Mira complained.
"Don't tell us," Bluff said hurriedly.
"I won't," Mira said.
"We're not supposed to ask," Bluff explained,
"You guys are top secret."
"Don't look," Roulette waid, "But we're being watched."
"Who?" Dazzle asked with a casual smile.
"Undercover City Patrol," Roulette waid. "He's up on the platform behind me. I've seen him before. Definitely CP. He's pretending to watch a game of Smashball."
Dread coursed through me. Sub-consciously, I linked my pointer finger with Jaces, desperate to have some sort of comfort.
"Bubba," Roulette whispered loudly. "I told you not to look. He knows we made him!"
"Get out of here," Bluff said. "Take separate levcars to zerobase. Dazzle will take the girl and Dalton. I'll run interference."
Bluff split off, heading toward the blond man.
Roulette led the others in the opposite direction, across the gaming floor.
"Did you see him?" Roulette asked Dazzle.
"His reflection," Dazzle said, holding up a small cosmetic mirror.
"Have you noticed him before?" Roulette asked.
"First time," Dazzle said.
"He was probably following you," Roulette said.
"I know his face and didn't see him until you guys showed up. Cole, lose your gear, we're about to go out a side door."