The Crystal Keepers: 20

"You mean Blake is here?" I asked.
"In this building," Datapoint said. "You can see him after we finish."
"But he was a slave," I said. "The High King bought him."
"He came to Zeropolis as a slave, yes," Datapoint said. "He was assigned to an undercover task force meant to spy on activities here in the old city. Some of the other organizations in town caught on and . . . dismantled the operation. I helped reveal their presence, and as part of my payment, I got to keep Blake. Are you aware of his abilities?"
"I knew him in my world," I said. "We were separated soon after coming here."
"His talents are unique," Datapoint said. "The Unseen should thank me for getting him away from City Patrol."
"Now he's your slave?" I asked.
"Technically he remains a slave," Datapoint said. "I can't change his mark. But he's not my slave. Here in Old Zeropolis, slaves get the same treatment as anybody else. He's my employee. It has been strongly suggested that he work for me for two years in return for sparing him. He gets fair wages, plus room and board. After that, he's free to stay on here, or take his chances elsewhere."
Since Blake wasn't supposed to leave for two years, I thought it sounded like he was still kind of a slave. But this didn't seem like the right moment to argue the point.
"I can see him now?" I asked.
"Sure," Datapoint said. "I take it you would like sanctuary here?»
Sidekick stepped closer to her. "If you're not sure where we can find Googol or Nova, a day or two here would help us."
"I'll keep watch for news of Googol, Nova, and the wanted children," Datapoint said. "I'll also watch for word of you two reaching my lair. If they're onto you, I'll kick you out immediately."
"Understood," Sidekick said. "I don't believe we were followed."
"I don't believe so either, or else we wouldn't be talking," Datapoint said. "Anything else you need at the moment?"
I glanced at Sidekick. It didn't seem like the right time to bring up Constance. It would almost certainly give away the whole secret.
"No," Sidekick said. "Thanks for hiding us."
"My pleasure," Datapoint said. "Given the magnitude of the secret our Harley here is guarding, I don't want the government getting hold of her. Are you ready to see Blake?"
"That would be great," I said. Blake had never been my favorite favorite. He was the sort of kid who hogged the ball in gym and talked himself up too much. But at the moment, seeing him would be heaven. Annoying or not, Blake wasn't just someone from home, but someone I knew fairly well!
"My husband can take you to him," Datapoint said. She raised her voice. "Lunk! I need you!"
A hulking man entered the room from behind a curtain, his black shirt stretched tight over beefy shoulders and a powerful chest. He was the physical opposite of Datapoint as tall and thick as she was short and slender.
"Lunk, dear, can you take Harley here to meet with Blake?" Datapoint asked sweetly. "They're old friends."
"Your wish is my command," Lunk said in a rumbling voice without a trace of sarcasm.
"Sidekick," Datapoint said. "Go to the guest room where you've stayed before. Harley will find you there later."
"You're too generous with a shabby old bot," Sidekick said.
"Oh, stop," Datapoint said, waving a dismissive hand. "You've got some of the best neural processors in the city. Don't play sidekick with me. I know your value."
"Flattery will get you everywhere," Sidekick replied.
"This way," Lunk said, opening the door.
"See you," I said to Sidekick.
"I'm glad you found one of your friends," the robot replied. "Congrats."
As Cole walked to the door, I found that I barely came up to the base of Lunk's chest. I had to crane my neck to look him in the eye.
"You're very tall," I couldn't help saying.
"Thanks," Lunk replied.
We walked out of the room and down the hall. The people who saw Lunk gave him a nod. Lunk led me around a couple of corners until they reached a closed door. Lunk knocked gently.
"Come in," a voice invited.
Lunk opened the door, and I saw Blake sitting behind a desk at a computer. The room appeared to be his private office.
Blake glanced at the door, then did a double take, eyes widening. "Kendal Anderson? Seriously?"
"Hey, Blake," I said.
"I'll let you two catch up," Lunk said, stepping aside. "I'll be out here when you're done, Harley, and I'll take you to your room."
"I guess you just heard my real name," I said.
Lunk shrugged. "My real name is Kevin."
"Where did Lunk come from?" I asked.
"Datapoint's idea," he said. "She didn't find Kevin intimidating enough."
I nodded. "I guess Lunk is tougher."
"Go on," Lunk encouraged.
I walked through the doorway, and Lunk closed the door behind me. Blake jumped up from his chair, ran to me, and threw his arms around me with the intensity of a drowning man. I hugged him back. When I pulled back, I saw that Blake had tears streaming down his cheeks.
"Sorry," Blake said, wiping his eyes on his sleeve. "I'd given up on seeing anybody from home again." He started to laugh unsteadily.
"Yeah," I said, kind of tearing up. "I couldn't believe it when Datapoint told me you were here."
"Old Zeropolis is in the middle of nowhere," Blake said, still wiping his eyes. "What are you doing here? Is that a freemark?"
I fingered the mark on my wrist. "Long
story. Can we talk in here?"
"Sure," Blake said.
"You're positive nobody is listening?" I asked.
"I've checked," Blake said, speaking more quietly. "And I know how to check. We can talk here. What's up?"
"How much do you trust Datapoint?" I asked.
Blake thought for a moment. "Trust her with what?"
"Like if you knew a major secret that the High King would kill for," I said.
Blake raised his eyebrows. "I don't know. She likes secrets. She hates the High King and the Zeropolitan government. She's also pretty selfish."
"Selfish how?"
"She likes to be at the center of everything. She wants everyone to admire her. She's very proud of her memory. The people here all think she's the best thing ever."
"You don't?" I asked.
"I'm basically her prisoner," Blake said. "Since I was working for her enemies and got captured, now I have to work for her for at least two years."
"Or what?" I asked.
"Or she'll spill information about where I am, Blake said. "I'll get captured again."
"Is this better than that?" I asked.
"In some ways I guess," Blake said. "It's mostly the same. Everybody just wants me for my ability."
"What can you do?" I asked.
"I'm good with harmonic crystals," Blake said.
"The kind in communicators?" I asked.
"Exactly," Blake said. "And providing energy to machines. I can create and tune crystals better than just about anybody. Don't ask me why. It seems easy."
"No kidding," I said. This sounded like the Blake I knew. I wondered how capable I really was.
"If I get near enough to any harmonic crystal, I can hear it in my mind. It isn't hard for me to then create a crystal with matching harmonics. Usually you need to have a stolen crystal to listen in on enemy communications. For most people it takes a lot of study and time to make a duplicate crystal. Datapoint hasn't seen anybody who can replicate a harmonic crystal without touching or examining it. Neither had City Patrol. It's really useful for spying."
"I bet," I said. I knew how valuable a stolen harmonic crystal could be. If Blake could copy them just by getting near them, no wonder Datapoint wanted him working for her.
"That's why they sent me with the unit to work in Old Zeropolis," Blake said. "They wanted to listen in on some of the criminals here."
"How long have you been at it?" I asked.
"I've worked for Datapoint for a couple of weeks," he said. "For a few weeks before that I worked for City Patrol here in the old town. I also spent a few weeks in the modern Zeropolis."
I wondered how many of the problems the Unseen had faced lately were caused by Blake. If he could replicate crystals without them knowing it, he could have been the main problem.
"Nobody else can make matching crystals just by being near them?" I asked.
"I'm supposed to be the only one," Blake said. "I got treated well, especially in the real Zeropolis. It's been all downhill since then."
The idea of Blake getting nice treatment from the High King for messing up the resistance didn't sit well with me. Blake could be the reason so many bases had fallen. He could be a big part of why Dalton, Mira, Jace, Joe, and the Unseen were on the run.
"How much do you know about the rebellion?" I asked.
"I didn't know squat until Datapoint nabbed me," Blake said. "City Patrol told me I was helping them catch criminals."
"What do you think of the rebellion now?" I asked, trying to stay calm.
"Why?" Blake asked. "Are you a part of it?"
"Yeah," I said. "And the crystals you made for City Patrol have been tearing it apart."
Blake paled. "I didn't know."
"Really, Blake?" I asked, frustrated. "What did you think you were doing? Why would you work for the government here? Don't you get they're our captors? They made us into slaves."
"Lay off. I was trying to survive. I was all alone. They were really rough with me if I resisted. I was their slave, remember?"
"So you wreck everything for the people who are trying to free you?"
"How was I supposed to know?" Blake cried, face reddening. "They brought me here from Junction, tested me, found out what I could do, and put me to work. They owned me! They made it sound like we were after robbers and kidnappers and terrorists. I was just matching crystals. I didn't know the details. I didn't track anyone down. What would you have done?"
"The same thing I already did," I said. "Escaped.
Fought back."
"Good for you, Kendal," Blake said. "I don't know what your Sky Pirates were like—"
"Sky Raiders," I interjected. "And I guarantee i've been through more than you can even imagine."
"City Patrol had me under tight watch. I didn't have a chance to escape. And how was I supposed to know I wasn't really helping them catch criminals? They seemed like the police."
"They're the police for the people who made us into slaves," I said. "That makes them the bad guys."
"Well, good to see you too." Blake flopped down on his chair and buried his face in his hands.
I realized I had probably been overly harsh. I was exhausted, and my emotions were frayed.
"Blake, I'm sorry. I'm just stressed. All my friends are on the run right now, and I almost got caught by the City Patrol. Cole and Dalton too. And some really important members of the rebellion."
Blake lifted his head. "You've seen Cole and Dalton?"
"We came to Zeropolis together," I said. "Me and Cole escaped Sambria, and found Dalton in Elloweer. I'm not sure where they are now, along with my other best friends, Jace and Secret. We scattered."
"Yeah, a lot of the Unseen bases went down lately."
"And we got caught in the middle of it."
"Wait," Blake said. "If you found Dalton in Elloweer, does that mean he can enchant?"
"Yep," I said. "He's amazing. I can enchant too, but not nearly as good."
"That's sick. How'd you find Datapoint?" Blake wondered.
"I'm with a really smart robot," I said.
"They just call them bots here," Blake corrected. "You haven't been in Zeropolis long?"
"A couple of days," I said. "Long enough to get into major trouble."
"What's the big secret?" Blake asked. "The one the High King would kill for. Can you tell me?"
"I don't know," I said. "Knowing it would put you in a lot of danger. I've basically been running for my life since I found out."
"Seriously?" Blake said.
"It's why all the crazy stuff has happened lately. We took down Carnag and Morgassa, been on the run from enforcers and Patrolmen the entire time, had our identities changed multiple times. It's been rough."
"That's insane. I don't know how you did it. You haven't told Datapoint the secret?" Blake asked.
"She knows about the secret," I said, "Not the important part."
"Does she know how big the secret is?"
"Yes. And how dangerous."
Blake shook his head. "I'm not sure she'll let you leave unless you tell her."
"Maybe. She seemed okay not knowing for now."
"She doesn't like to be kept in the dark. She's obsessed with being the first to know stuff. And if the secret really is a big deal, I'm not sure you can trust her. Her top priority is herself. She's not part of your rebellion. She's an outlaw. And she's all about strategy. She wants something on everyone so they can't mess with her. She doesn't want to help City Patrol, but I bet she'd make a deal to save herself."
I folded my arms. "It's tricky because we might need her. We're looking for somebody. It's all part of the secret."
"She's good at finding people," Blake said. "The best. Her memory is unbelievable and she has set up an amazing spy network."
"And you're helping her make it better," I said.
"I have been," Blake admitted. "It's getting better fast. They take me out once or twice a day to find new harmonic signals. But not since everything went nuts."
"Could you help us find this person?" I asked.
"Sure," Blake said. "I'd love to help. I wouldn't really know where to start. I'm great with the crystals, but l've never looked at the actual information very much."
"The bot I'm with is really smart," I said. "Is there computer he could use? Could you make a crystal that would give him access to Datapoint's info?"
Blake rubbed his lips uncomfortably. "If we got caught, we'd be finished."
"We'd be careful," I said. "There are always risks."
Blake stood and started pacing. After a minute he came close me and whispered. "Look, I want to help you. I'm sorry if I hurt the rebellion. What you really want is to get inside her situation room. She only goes in alone. Nobody knows what she has in there, but it's where she hides out when she's up against a serious challenge."
"Can we get inside?" I asked.
"She keeps it locked," Blake said. "I was with her right before she went there yesterday. I know the harmonics of the crystal she uses as her key."
"She showed you her key?" I asked.
"No," Blake said. "But she had it with her. It had different harmonics from the other crystals she normally carries."
"And you remember it well enough to copy it?" I asked.
"Sure," Blake said. "I don't remember the harmonics of every crystal I'm near, but that one stood out. I knew how important it was. I don't think people are used to what I can do. It was dumb of her to come near me with it. Is this smart, Kendal? If we get caught, she'll probably kill us. For real."
"You don't have to come," I said.
"I might as well," Blake said. "If you enter with a crystal key, she'll figure out how you did it."
"We can get you out of here," I said. "You can leave with us."
"And join the rebellion?" Blake asked. "I'd like to help the people trying to free us. But I don't know if i'd survive having Datapoint after me. You either."
"I've had a lot of enemies," I said. "Our best bet is helping the resistance. If they can stop the High King, you won't be a slave anymore. We can find the others and work on getting home."
"We can't get home," Blake said. "Not to stay. Haven't you heard?"
"Some of those rules might be flexible," I said. "I have reason to hope we can reshape how it all works. We just need to find the right help."
"Really?" Blake said. "That would be awesome. I gave up on getting home a long time ago. Does the resistance have a chance against the High King? He has the Outskirts under tight control."
"The secret I know could give the rebellion a chance," I said. "That's why the High King wants me and every one else who knows it dead."
"Okay," Blake said, opening a drawer. "I'll make you a key."
He took out a crystal block and waved a hand over it. A little crystal cube emerged from the larger block. Blake handed it to me.
"This is it?" I asked.
"The situation room is on the bottom floor at the rear of the building. Two levels underground. The door is solid steel. That crystal will fit into the slot in the panel beside the door."
"You just wave your hand and make a top secret key?" I said, marveling at Blake's ability. "That's crazy!"
Blake shrugged. "I don't really have to wave my hand. It just looks more official."
"Hilarious. Well, whatever you do, it's super quick and impressive."
"It's easy for me. Don't ask why. I can't explain. It just is. Like whistling a familiar tune."
"That's awesome." I said.
Blake was seldom shy about how amazing he was. But at least he had stepped up and helped. "Want to come with us?" I asked.
"Make sure you and your bot think the risk is worth it," Blake said. "I'm not sure what's in there, but it must involve lots of great info."
"Okay."
"There's a staircase at the front western corner of the building. We should meet at the bottom in the dead of night. Let's say six hours after sundown. If somebody spots us, we'll pretend we're meeting up late to talk or something. If we can get to the situation room undetected, we'll give it a try."
"It's a plan." I said with a grin.
He smiled. "I guess walking behind that wagon didn't teach you to behave."
I shook my head. "It kind of taught me the opposite."