The Crystal Keepers: 22

I slid the same crystal cube I had used to enter the situation room into the hidden socket in the machine Aero had specified, and a secret door opened. A dim hallway yawned beyond the doorway.
"No idea where this goes?" I asked.
"I predict that the escape tunnel leads well away from here," Aero said. "I am sure that accessing this room in reverse would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Since the presence of the hidden passage was based only on assumptions,
I am unable to provide further speculation."
"How else can you aid us?" Sidekick asked. "Are there reasons we should bring the crystal and have more communication with you?"
"It all depends what questions you have," Aero said. "I do not merely possess all of Datapoint's information. I have observed countless connections and patterns in my vast stores of data. Conclusions only I could draw. My knowledge and comprehension would become the rebellion's most valuable asset."
"Would you mind withdrawing so we can confer in private?" Sidekick asked politely. "We need to weigh whether to bring the crystal or leave it behind."
"Understandable," Aero said. "Possession of that crystal is treason, punishable by death. Many organizations here in Old Zeropolis would enforce that punishment. as eagerly as the authorities in the new city."
"Including the Unseen," Sidekick said. "The implications are complicated."
"Would I be a valuable asset in a time of emergency for the rebellion?" Aero asked. "Or might I directly or indirectly bring about even greater peril?"
"Exactly," Sidekick said.
"Signing off," Aero said. "Should you wish to summon me, use the red call button on the com-puter."
The screens where Aero's words had been appearing went dark.
"Is he gone?" I asked hesitantly.
"What do you think, Blake?" Sidekick asked.
"It doesn't seem like his crystal is in use anymore," Blake said. "But I'm not an expert in the practical side of how the crystals function. He might be able to fool me make everything appear dark while he's really still listening."
A silver disk trailing a slender wire shot from Sidekick to the computer Aero had spoken from. The instant the disk made contact, energy crackled along the wire, and the computer, along with the surrounding array of electronics, began to smoke and shoot sparks. Sidekick kept the energy coming until the computer blew apart, leaving behind flaming components.
"There is less chance that he's listening now," Sidekick said.
"Does this mean we're taking the crystal?" I asked.
"It means I don't want Aeronomatron hearing one more word than necessary," Sidekick said. "And I don't want him talking to Datapoint ever again. She betrayed and endangered the entire population of Zeropolis by making contact with him."
"Couldn't Aero be helpful?" I asked.
"Undoubtedly," Sidekick said. "But at what price? He has already shown what he wants. The intellect we were talking to could have held a billion similar conversations simultaneously without difficulty. That calculating intellect decided it should be in power, and killed more people than any disaster in the history of the Outskirts. People tried to reason with Aeronomatron. They tried to make compromises and treaties. In the end, all that stopped him was cutting him off. All it would take is one connection into our current systems and the nightmare begins again."
"But aren't the systems all separated now?" I asked.
"Not nearly enough," Sidekick said. "Aero would find ways. Once he had a connection to the outside, he would do what he does, step by step, subverting system after system, adapting whatever elements he controls to extend his reach farther and farther. After an intellect that brilliant and methodical decides to destroy humanity, it doesn't repent. It just waits for its next opportunity."
"Scary," I said. "That makes sense."
"Plus, he has a horrible personality," Sidekick said. "When you're that powerful, I guess you don't usually need to charm anyone."
"So do we bring the crystal so we can destroy it?" I asked.
"No need," Sidekick said. "Blake can change the harmonics right now. In fact, to be safe, he can change the harmonics of every crystal in this room."
"Easy," Blake said. "There are only twelve, one tuned to Aero, and eleven others tuned to each other. Those eleven link the machines that share data with Aero."
"Do your thing," I said.
Blake walked around the room pointing his finger at various machines. After less than fifteen seconds he faced me and Sidekick. "Done."
"You're amazing," Sidekick said. "Nobody can do it that casually. You're sure the harmonics are different?"
"For each crystal, I erased the harmonics, changed the shape, and set up new random harmonics."
"Big question," Sidekick said. "What about Aero's crystal. Do you remember its harmonics?"
"It was pretty distinct," Blake said.
"Can you forget it?" Sidekick asked.
"Maybe, if you give me some time," Blake said. "I'm not a computer. I can't just erase it. Think of the harmonics like a catchy tune. The more I try to forget it, the more it gets stuck in my head."
"That's a problem," Sidekick said. "Potential contact with Aero remains a threat as long as you remember the harmonics."
"I'll forget," Blake said.
"We'll let Googol worry about it," Sidekick said. "I take it you also remember some of the harmonics you used with Datapoint?"
"Not all," Blake said. "But lots."
"You could be a major asset for the rebellion," Sidekick said.
"Everybody wants me for my tinkering," Blake said with a sigh.
"At least you're wanted now," I replied. "The only person who used to like you was your mom."
"I'd trade anything just to have her remember me," Blake said heavily. "Or my dad. City Patrol let me use a thruport to send emails. I never heard back."
"I tried too," I said, feeling a little bad for the joke. "I had the same problem. We'll figure it out. But not right now. Should we see if the escape tunnel works?"
"Sounds good," Sidekick said, heading through the door way.
"Think Datapoint will have people guarding this way out?" I asked.
"Depends how much credit she gives us and how much she trusts her people," Sidekick said, "She didn't know Aero was aware of this passage. And she probably doesn't want anybody knowing about it. This room is the secret of her success, and if the secret got out, most everyone in Zeropolis would want her executed. I bet there are no guards. But best to be ready just in case."
The hall went on for a serious distance. Finally we reached a steel door with a square slot to one side. I inserted the same crystal key, and the door opened.
We passed into a room with walls of steel. When the door shut behind us, there was no slot to open it. But a square slot on the other side of the room opened a new door, and we continued into a grungy basement. After the door closed, once again there was no way to backtrack. A flight of stairs led up to a locked hatch in the ceiling.
Sidekick used a tool to cut the lock on the hatch, and they went up to a higher basement.
"How far to Rainday?" I asked.
"It'll take a few hours," Sidekick said. "I'll get us there underground. Stay with me."