Chapter Three

Stiles stands leaning against the wall as Phil tries to get through to Tony Stark, sighing he grabs the phone and starts typing away "What are you doing?" Phil asks. "Overwriting the protocols." Stiles responds, handing the phone back to Phil before walking into the elevator that has just opened. "Stark, we need to talk." Phil tells Stark. "You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark, please leave a message." Stark responds. "This is urgent." Phil tells him. "Then leave it urgently." Stark retorts. Stiles rolls his eyes, walking out of the elevator as it opens "Security breach. That's on you." Stark tells his girlfriend, Pepper. "Mr. Stark." Phil greets. "Phil! Come in." Pepper smiles. "Phil? Uh, his first name is Agent." Stark tells her as they walk over. Come on in, we're celebrating. Who's this?" Pepper asks. "Which is why they can't stay." Stark tells her. "Agent.M but you can call me Stiles." Stiles introduces himself with a smile, shaking Pepper's hand. "We can't stay. We need you to look this over. Soon as possible." Phil says, trying to hand Stark a file. "I don't like being handed things." Stark responds. "That's alright, 'cause I love to be handed things. So, let's trade. Thank you." Pepper says, passing Phil her champagne as she takes the file before doing the same with Stark.

"Official consulting hours are between eight and five every other Thursday." Stark tells them. "This isn't a consultation." Stiles tells him. "Is this about The Avengers? Which I...I know nothing about." Pepper asks. "The Avengers Initiative was scrapped, I thought. And I didn't even qualify." Stark says. "I didn't know that either." Pepper tells them. "Yeah, apparently I'm volatile, self-obsessed, don't play well with others." Stark continues. "That I did know." Pepper says, Stiles snorting slightly. "This isn't about personality profiles anymore." Phil tells Stark. "Whatever. Miss Potts, got a minute?" Stark asks, motioning Pepper to the side. Stiles sighs and pulls out his phone as it vibrates, seeing Agent McCall's name he turns to Phil "I need to take this." he tells him. Phil nods making Stiles walk to the side and answer his phone "Agent." he greets. "Stiles... There's no easy way to tell you this..." McCall trails off. Stiles frowns "What is it? What's happened?" he asks. "Frankie's family have been found." McCall tells him. "Found as in...?" Stiles trails off. "Yeah, looks like they'd been dead at least two months before we found them." McCall responds. "Okay, uh, wh-what's happening now?" Stiles asks. "We're continuing the investigation, I'll let you know when we get any new leads." McCall tells him. "Thanks for letting me know." Stiles responds. "No problem, I'll keep you updated." McCall tells him, hanging up.

Stiles wipes his eyes and turns as Pepper walks over with Phil "You alright Stiles?" Phil asks. "Y-Yeah, it was McCall." he responds, walking into the elevator. Phil gives him a sad knowing look "Two months, at least. He had them for nearly a year." Stiles stresses, running a hand through his hair. "We'll find him, McCall got any leads?" Phil asks. "Not yet, he said he'd keep me updated though." Stiles responds. "We'll get him Stiles." Phil tells him. "I know." Stiles nods, walking out the elevator. Pepper put a hand on his arm "I don't know what's going on but if you ever need someone to talk to, or even go for coffee with you." she tells him, handing him her card. "Thank you Pepper." Stiles responds, giving her a small strained smile. Pepper nods and heads to the car waiting for her, bidding both spies goodnight before leaving. Stiles runs his hands through his hair again "I'll meet you at the Quinjet, I need to go clear my head." he tells Phil. "Stay dare." Phil tells him. "I'm always safe, trouble just happens to follow me around." Stiles jokes, walking off.

The next day, Stiles sits in the Quinjet bouncing his leg up and down as he bites his thumb

The next day, Stiles sits in the Quinjet bouncing his leg up and down as he bites his thumb. Phil looks over and sighs "You haven't taken your meds, have you?" he asks. Stiles smiles sheepishly "I may have forgotten to bring them with me, Nat has some spare in her room for me though." he responds. "Take them when we get there." Phil tells him. "Yes Dad." Stiles jokes, Phil chuckling as Steve smiles at there friendship. Steve looks down at the tablet, watching footage of Hulk's attack on the Army at Culver University "We're about forty minutes out from base, sir." the pilot pipes up. Phil nods and stands from his seat, walking to the main part of the Quinjet "So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on me?" Steve asks. "A lot of people were. You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula." Stiles explains. "Didn't really go his way, did it?" Steve says. "Not so much. When he's not that thing though, guy's like a Stephen Hawking. He's like a smart person. I gotta say, it's an honor to meet you, officially. I sort of met you, I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping. I mean, I was... I was present while you were unconscious from the ice. You know, it's really, it's just a... just a huge honor to have you on board." Phil rambles, Stiles biting his lip so he doesn't laugh as Steve stands up.

Steve joins Phil and leans against the entrance to the cockpit as he looks out "Well, I hope I'm the man for the job." he responds. "Oh, you are. Absolutely. Uh... we've made some modifications to the uniform. I had a little design input." Phil explains. "The uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little... old fashioned?" Steve asks. "With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old fashioned." Phil responds. Steve nods and sits back in his seat "So what about you? All it says is that you're an enhanced individual with extraordinary abilities." he asks Stiles. "I'm three different supernatural beings rolled into one." Stiles responds, smiling at the look of shock of Steve's face. "Supernatural?" Steve asks. "Yeah, long story short, I got possessed by an evil trickster fox spirit and ended up dying. Not that my friends back home know that. When I woke up I pretended to still be human as I didn't want them to know what happened, I then left and joined the FBI academy after high school." Stiles shrugs, not going into any detail. "You get used to it." Phil tells Steve. "The supernatural?" Steve asks. "No, his rambling." Phil responds, Stiles giving a sarcastic look of offence.

The Quinjet soon lands on the Helicarrier, Stiles immediately getting out and over to Natasha "Nat." he smiles. "Foksi (Foxy in Russian)." she smiles, pulling him into a hug. Stiles squeezes her slightly and buries his face in her neck, Natasha looks at him as they pull away "Something's wrong." she realises. "I'll tell you later." he tells her, making her nod as Steve and Phil walk over. "Agent Romanoff, Captain Rogers." Phil introduces. "Ma'am." Steve nods. "Hi. They need you on the bridge. They're starting the face-trace." Natasha tells Phil. "See you there." Phil nods, walking away. The remaining three start walking towards the railing of the Helicarrier "It was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was gonna swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?" Natasha asks Steve. "Trading cards?" Steve asks. "They're vintage, he's very proud." Stiles smiles. "Dr. Banner." Steve says as they spot the Doctor. The two walk up to each other and shake hands "Oh, yeah. Hi. They told me you'd be coming." Bruce nods. "Word is you can find the cube." Steve says. "Is that the only word on me?" Bruce asks. "Only word I care about." Steve responds. "It must be strange for you, all of this." Bruce says. Steve looks round at the people training and running round "Well, this is actually kind of familiar." he responds.

Bruce turns to Stiles "You must be Agent.M." he says. "Call me Stiles." Stiles smiles, shaking the Doctor's hand. "Bruce." he responds. "Gentlemen, you might want to step inside in a minute. It's gonna get a little hard to breath." Natasha tells them as the Helicarrier starts shaking. Everyone starts strapping the Quinjet down "Is this a submarine?" Steve asks. "Really? They wanted me in a submerged, pressurized metal container?" Bruce asks as they move closer to the edge, seeing four fan engines coming out he water as the Helicarrier starts to take off "Oh, no. This is much worse." he smiles. "Could be worse." Stiles shrugs. "How?" Bruce asks. "Could be in space." Stiles smirks, heading to the door. "Is he always...?" Bruce trails off. "Yes." Natasha responds, following Stiles with the two men walking behind her.