Chapter Six

Stiles looks at the screen as Nick walks in "What are you doing, Mr

Stiles looks at the screen as Nick walks in "What are you doing, Mr. Stark?" he asks, seeing that they aren't working on the sceptre or the Tesseract. "Uh...kind of been wondering the same thing about you." Tony responds. "You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract." Nick tells them. "We are. The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile." Bruce tells him. "And you'll get your cube back, no muss, no fuss." Stiles tell him. Tony shows his monitor, showing a collection of secret files "What is Phase 2?" he asks. Steve walks in and drops a Hydra rifle on the table, making them all turn to look "Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D uses the cube to make weapons. Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow." he tells them. "Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're..." Nick trails off. "I'm sorry, Nick. What were you lying?" Tony asks, pulling up the plans for the weapons. "I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Steve says.

Thor and Natasha walk into the lab, Natasha looking at Bruce "Did you know about this?" Bruce asks. "You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?" Natasha suggests. "I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed." Bruce tells her. "Loki's manipulating you." Natasha tells him. "And you've been doing what exactly?" Bruce asks. "You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." Natasha retorts. "Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction." Bruce explains, motioning to the screen. "Because of him and Stiles." Nick says, pointing at Thor and Stiles. "Wh-what?" Stiles asks, hurt in his eyes. "Me?" Thor asks. Natasha moves and holds Stiles' hand, making eye contact to let him know she didn't know "Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned." Nick explains. "My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor tells him.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you? And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled." Nick says. "Like you controlled the cube?" Steve asks. "You want to control me?" Stiles asks. "That is not what I meant." Nick tells him. "Really? Cause that's what it sounded like." Stiles glares. "Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is the signal to all the realms that the earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor tells Nick. "A higher form?" Steve asks. "You forced our hand. We had to come up with something." Nick says. "Nuclear deterrent. Cause that always calms everything right down." Tony remarks. "Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark?" Nick retorts. "I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck deep..." Steve says. "Wait! Wait! Hold on! How is this now about me?" Tony asks. "I'm sorry, isn't everything?" Steve counters. "I thought humans were more evolved than this." Thor says. "Excuse me, did WE come to YOUR planet and blow stuff up?" Nick asks him. "Did you always give your champions such mistrust?" Thor counters.

"Are you all really that naive? S.H.I.E.L.D monitors potential threats." Natasha tells them. "Captain America is on the threat potential watch list?" Bruce asks. "You're on that list? Are you above or below angry bees?" Tony asks Steve. "I swear to God, Stark, one more crack..." Steve warns. "Threatening! I feel threatened!" Tony exclaims. Stiles winces and closes his eyes as a ringing starts in his head "You speak of control, yet you court chaos." Thor laughs. "It's his M.O., isn't it? I mean, what are we, a team? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're... we're a time-bomb." Bruce says. "You need to step away." Nick tells him. "Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" Tony asks, putting a hand on Steve's shoulder. "You know damn well why! Back off!" Steve exclaims, pushing his hand off. "Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me." Tony tells him, getting face to face with him. "Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?" Steve asks. "Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist." Tony responds, Natasha and Stiles shrugging slightly. "I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. Yeah, I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you." Steve tells Tony. "I think I would just cut the wire." Tony tells him.

Stiles grimaces, holding his head "Stiles?" Natasha asks in worry. "I'm alright..." he trails off, his eyes going slightly black before going back to normal. "Always a way out... You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero." Steve tells Tony. "A hero? Like you? You're a lab rat, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle!" Tony tells him. "Put on the suit, let's go a few rounds." Steve threatens. Thor laughs at them "You people are so petty... and tiny." he tells them. Tony rubs his head and moves away from Steve "Yeah, this is a team..." Bruce remarks. "Agent Romanoff, would you escort Dr.Banner back to his..." Nick starts. "Where? You rented my room." Bruce retorts. "The cell was just in case..." Nick begins. "In case you needed to kill me, but you can't! I know! I tried! I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out! So I moved on. I focused on helping other people. I was good, until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk! You wanna know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You wanna know how I stay calm?" Bruce asks.

Nick and Natasha put their hands on their guns as Stiles pulls out his ring daggers "Doctor Banner... put down the sceptre." Steve tells him. Bruce looks down, shocked to see the sceptre in his hand. The computer suddenly beeps making them all turn to look at it "Got it." Tony says. Bruce puts down the sceptre and walks over to the computer "Sorry, kids. You don't get to see my little party trick after all." he tells them. "Located the Tesseract?" Thor asks. "I can get there faster." Tony says. "Look, all of us..." Steve starts. "The Tesseract belongs on Asgard, no human is a match for it." Thor cuts in. Tony turns to leave but is stopped by Steve "You're not going alone!" Steve tells him. "You gonna stop me?" Tony asks. "Put on the suit, let's find out." Steve retorts. "I'm not afraid to hit an old man." Tony tells him. "Put on the suit." Steve repeats. The ringing gets louder in Stiles' head, making him cry out and fall to the floor on his knees "Stiles!" Natasha exclaims, kneeling next to him.