Kabanata 9

Kabanata 9

Chandria

Sa pangalawang pagkakataon ay napatawag na naman ang mga magulang ni Khol sa school dahil sa akin. I was so embarrassed because of what happened but Khol kept on insisting to the guidance counselor that I have nothing to do with his actions and behavior during our PE class.

Nanatili akong nakayuko, pigil ang luha dahil pakiramdam ko ay wala na talaga akong mukhang maihaharap sa mga magulang niya dahil pangalawa na ito. 

"Like I told you, Sir, Ria was the victim here. They were trying to hurt her during our PE class, and what did Mr. Favier did? Wala po. He's a teacher. He's supposed to make sure everyone in class was safe during the game," galit na paliwanag ni Khol.

I pursed my lips when I heard his mother sighed. "That's enough, Khol."

"No, Dad. I'm trying to make them understand--"

"I said that's enough. When will you ever listen?"

Malungkot at nahihiya kong tiningnan si Khol nang madama ko ang iritasyon sa tinig ng kanyang ama. I'm sure they hate me more now. Baka iniisip nilang nagiging masama ang ugali ni Khol ngayong magkaibigan na kami.

Mrs. Ducani took in a sharp breath. "I apologize for my son's behavior during their PE class." 

Sumikip ang dibdib ko nang madama ko ang pagiging istrikta ni Mrs. Ducani. Tila ba sa mga sandaling ito ay nagagalit na rin siya ngunit pinipigilan niyang mawala sa postura. 

"Thank you, Attorney. I hope you will teach your son some manners . . . and I hope you will help him understand the importance of having the . . . right circle of friends," sagot ng guidance counselor dahilan para lalo akong manliit.

Nagkatinginan ang mag-asawang Ducani. Maya-maya ay makahulugang ngumiti si Mrs. Ducani bago muling nagsalita.

"Don't worry, Mr. Clavio. We do not tolerate bad behaviors at home . . . as much as we do not allow our kids to stay blind when someone needs their help."

Napaangat ako ng tingin kay Mrs. Ducani. She felt me staring, and when she turned her gaze towards me, I nearly bawled my eyes out when she flashed a motherly smile at me as if she's giving me the assurance that she's got my back. 

Muli niyang ibinalik ang tingin sa guidance counselor. "Mr. Clavio, are you familiar with Republic Act No. 10627? Oh, silly me. You're a guidance counselor. I'm sure you're very much aware of that. Let me ask you something else." She smiled. The kind of smile that silently says you're about to go down a nasty road once you push me to my limits. "How about the Republic Act No. 386, hmm?"

Kitang-kita ko kung papaanong nawalan ng kulay ang mukha ng guidance counselor pati na ng PE teacher naming nakatayo sa tabi ng desk niya. They looked at each other for a moment before Mr. Clavio cleared his throat and answered Mrs. Ducani.

"I . . . heard about it."

Mrs. Ducani's lips curved for a more meaningful smile. "Should I . . . elaborate? Or instead of putting the blame on my son's reaction, you will assess this situation thoroughly like you're expected to do, see the real cause of the problem, and deal with it?"

Alanganing ngumiti si Mr. Clavio. "Y-You're right. I forgot that . . . reactions are triggered by certain actions." His adam's apple bobbed up and down. "R-Rest assured that I will let the Principal know about this matter as well."

Mrs. Ducani sighed. "Thank you. But don't worry. I will take care of my son later. I do not like seeing him lose his cool anyway. Nakakahiya," tila sarkastikong sabi ni Mrs. Ducani. 

Tumangu-tango ang guidance counselor. Nang tuluyan kaming pinayagang lumabas ay para akong tuta na bumuntot sa pamilya Ducani. I waited for the door to shut before I finally gathered my courage and apologize.