Rainbow 🌈

Author's note:

For those who survived Chapter 13, welcome to the finale. Yes, I know, how did we get here so soon??? I started writing this when Boss was in Korea without Eul and I just missed them so much but I wasn't expecting to meet so many BoNohs on here. My heart is so full because of your kind words and the love you have for our boys. Let's all stay together for a long time and here's to more BossNoeul/PhayuRain fanfics! 🥂

~~~

Noeul sat in an empty funeral hall, decked in black. The casket sitting atop a high table was sealed with only a photograph of the deceased.

Stop was much younger in that photo because Noeul couldn't find a recent one that was half-decent. But even then, the young man was already disturbed and never once wore a carefree smile on his face.

After talking to the police for a brief moment, Boss came back inside and saw Noeul staring into space, looking as if his health had diminished over the past couple days. Boss was honestly growing concerned; Noeul hadn't eaten nor slept much.

"Noeul..." Boss called his name softly as he sat beside him on the floor. Noeul turned his head towards Boss and smiled weakly. "You're done talking with the police?"

"Mm." Boss hummed. "They said they'll keep us updated on his case. Noeul, you should really get some rest. I'm worried about you."

Noeul shook his head and trained his eyes back to the photograph. "I can't rest just yet." Noeul rasped. "They say the soul doesn't leave right away and since there's no one else here...won't he be too sad?"

Boss sympathized but although he would never say it out loud, a part of him still wondered why Noeul cared so much even after everything Stop had done and put him through.

But as though reading his mind, Noeul said with a bittersweet smile, "You're probably wondering why I'm doing this. I guess because I see myself in him. Just like me, he was left to his own devices very young and he just didn't know what to do. And everyone around us was paid to do a specific job. They were the adults but they tiptoed around us kids; no one dared to cross the line and tell us right from wrong.

"No one guided us but after our lives went down the drain, our own families washed their hands clean and wanted nothing to do with us anymore." Noeul's eyes became thoughtful as he mused, "We had a toxic friendship. Actually, you couldn't even call it that; it was more like a trauma bond. But back then, we were all each other had."

Boss glanced up at Stop's photo and for the first time, he felt something other than just anger. He wouldn't call it positive feelings either but at the very least, he was enlightened. He realized things aren't always black and white and people aren't always good or bad. Sometimes, a person could just be lost and sadly, some never find their way.

"Is that why you couldn't leave them so easily?" Boss asked even though he kind of knew the answer; he wanted to hear it from Noeul. And Noeul nodded as confirmation, "I know it's a twisted way of thinking but...I felt bad getting out by myself. I wanted to help them change but I guess I didn't do enough."

"Don't say that." Boss stopped Noeul's self-sabotaging thoughts before he could spiral again. He reached for his hand, squeezing it tightly. "They made their choice and you made yours."

At this, Noeul smiled and touched Boss' cheek endearingly. "Boss...thank you. I would've ended up just like him if it wasn't for you."

"Me?" He asked quietly. As far as Boss knew, it was Noeul who changed him for the better. Noeul inspired him to live more boldly, taught him not to miss out on his own youth and urged him to follow his dreams. That was the reason he didn't entirely give up on music.