4th Chapter - Confrontation

"How is mother?"

"The medicine is working. She's not feeling well but she's recovering. She has to stay strong." Lady Tamayo replied.

"She will be strong. I know it." Tanjiro assured Lady Tamayo.

"The medicine has finished." Lady Shinobu said as she showed the empty bottle to Tanjiro.

It's been more than a week since he last went to Lady Shinobu's house.

"I will get you the medicine, Lady Tamayo."

She wanted to know what he was going to do to obtain the money to do it but decided not to ask. Tanjiro had already told her that he can't say it.

"Tanjiro, if you want somebody to talk to, I am here."

Tanjiro knew that he couldn't tell her. If he did, it would only make things worse.

"Thank you, Lady Tamayo." He waited till she left the house and then returned to check on his mom. She was in a deep sleep. He just wished to see his mother smile. He wanted to live happily with his family.

He came out of the room his mother was staying and was met with the face of his siblings face. Their eyes staring back at his hoping to hear some good news.

"Lady Tamayo said that mom is recovering. She just needs some medication and some time to rest." He said, patting his siblings on the head. "Your brother's got this"

He saw his sister, Nezuko staring at him as he was reassuring his siblings that everything was going to be okay .

Tanjiro went up to her. "Nezuko, don't worry. Your older brother's got this." He smiled and patted her on the head.

Nezuko couldn't stand it anymore. Why was he being so secretive? Whenever she had asked about the money or about what he's up to, he just ignored the question. She just hated the idea of Tanjiro hiding something from her. She watched as her brother started to leave. She had to act fast.

"Brother." Finally picking up the courage to say something to her brother.

Tanjiro turned to look back at his sister, a smile forming on his face, as she called out to him. She had not spoken to him for almost two weeks.

"What are you going to do?" she asked.

Tanjiro wanted to answer that question but just couldn't bring himself to do it. He didn't want her to know what he's been doing as that would make her feel guilty. He didn't her to give her stress any more than she has now.

"It's okay Nezuko. Your older brother's got it under control." He said while turning his back to Nezuko. He was avoiding her question. He could feel the scent of anger and sadness coming from Nezuko. Nezuko had reached her limit.

"If you don't tell me now, I won't talk to you anymore." said Nezuko. Tanjiro couldn't believe what he was hearing. Did Nezuko just threaten him? She wasn't the type of person who would throw threats at people, especially her own brother.

What should he do? Should he tell her? But he can't. He just doesn't want her to feel guilty for what he's done. His mother needs the medicine. He needs to do this. This is for his family. Being the oldest, he alone should carry the burden. He decided to stay quiet. A part of him was telling him to let his sister know about what he's been up to.

"Being the oldest doesn't mean you have to carry the burden alone. That's what a family is for. You don't have to go through this alone."

Throughout all of this, Tanjiro remained silent.