6th Chapter - Consolation

The red headed teen had been trying his best to behave and act as the oldest, working for his family and helping them when they need him. It was a quality of his that people say he got from his father.

"Tanjiro."

The 15 year old sister stood next to Tanjiro; who was watching the snow fall gracefully onto the ground flake by flake.

"Yeah?" Breaking himself from his thoughts and coming back to reality.

"What is Lady Shinobu like?" Nezuko asked.

The boy turned to look at his sister.

What's with the sudden curiosity? He didn't think she would ever ask about Lady Shinobu because he was sure Nezuko hated her too much to care about what she's like.

"She always has a smile on her face." He wasn't lying. "She's pretty..."

Tanjiro's face turned red remembering the times when she closed up on his face and even the time when kissed him out of nowhere. The rest of the thoughts need not be said about.

"Pretty...?" asked Nezuko, raising an eyebrow. She didn't miss the blush on Tanjiro's face.

Tanjiro kept quiet. Nezuko was smart. She would catch onto those little things, not letting them slip away.

"You remember the promise, right Tanjiro?"

"I do." replied Tanjiro. It's been a few days since he promised Nezuko. He hasn't forgotten about it. It's been running in his mind since from back then. "I got this, Nezuko."

At least, the questions stopped. If anymore of this, he might say something he shouldn't.

Tanjiro let out slowly all the air he didn't know he was holding, his breath turning white.

"I've got to get going. The coal doesn't get sold by itself." said Tanjiro, with a chuckle.

XXX

The sound of pills clattering in bottles. Neatly stacked in shelves. Organized was what could be said of the room more or less.

"Miss Shinobu. Is something wrong?" Mr. Urokodaki asked with concern.

Mr. Urokodaki worked for Shinobu. He has been working in this shop since Shinobu's sister, Kanoe started it.

"No Mr. Urokodaki. Everything's good." She replied with that plastered smile of hers.

It was really scary how she could maintain that smile even though that's not really how she felt.

How'd Mr. Urokodaki notice?

Ever since her last encounter with the teen boy, her mind has not been the same. It's as if she's got even weaker and her mask has been starting to slip.

What is it with this boy? How can he not want to do it? She tried and tried but he just keeps on standing in one place. If this went on, she'd lose him.

It was already evening. Shinobu decided to leave the clinic. As she was leaving, she noticed a familiar young man selling coal.

He had that smile on his face. The smile that very much reminded her of her sister. Anger started to boil inside of her.

Maybe she should stay away from him. No. She shouldn't. She can't. She has to go take him. She has to make him want to do the service.

------

"Tanjiro."

The moment he turned around after hearing that familiar voice, he found his face mere centimeters away from Lady Shinobu's face. Her purple eyes looking into his. He could feel her breath on his lips. His face started to blush. Her presence itself was jarring to the boy.