Chapter 8 - Violence is Coming

"I hope something doesn't happen to Noelle," Rimuru muttered under his breath. 

Reaching the area where the guests are usually situated, Rimuru abruptly stops seeing the destruction of the area. Buildings laid in ruin, water appeared everywhere, and the ground destroyed into craters of various sizes. That's a lot of damage. 

Rimuru did spot his subordinates and Noelle who aren't in danger or hurt in any way. This is a relief to him as he would never forgive himself if something happen to them and sure... the buildings are gone but he can always repair them later.

Shuna is the first to see Rimuru and waves at him as he comes in running, yelling at him: "Rimuru-sama!"

Rimurur hugged Shuna but quickly let go to ask questions. "Shuna! What happened here? Is the kid safe? Why is Noelle in armor?"

Overwhelmed by the questions, Shuna tries her best to answer them and give out the details that she saw throughout the entire scene that stood before her. "W-well... it's complicated, to say the least, to explain Rimuru-sama. But..."

After a couple of minutes of explaining the situation and digesting the information Shuna gave to fully grasp the problem at hand, Rimuru became increasingly enraged and worried as he took the explanation into his own thinking.

A sigh escapes from his mouth. "This is... concerning. If Y/n finds out and he will, rage will be the only thing on his mind as he learns of the situation that befell his wife and child and Tempest as a whole. It's best we go back to the plaza. Rigurd and the others will inform me of the other things that happened in Tempest."

"Y-yes." Shuna responded. 

~~~

"Rimuru-sama." Benimaru knelled in front of Rimuru. 

"Benimaru what's the situation?" Rimuru asked.

"That..." Glancing over to Rigurd, Benimaru looked down in shame. "It's better that don't discuss it. It's for the better Rimuru-sama."

"Benimaru". Rimuru's tone turned serious as he has had enough of his subordinates avoiding telling him the situation when he came to check the state of Tempest. "Tell me the situation."

"!" Benimaru clenched his teeth. How would he even explain the situation? The deaths caused by humans? The anger of not doing everything in his power to protect the nation? Just how would he, the self-proclaimed strongest out of Rimuru's subordinates, tell his master the situation that befell Tempest?

"I... It would be better to show you than to tell you Rimuru-sama." Standing, Benimaru walked past Rimuru and lead the way to a part of the city where part of the horror happened to the people living in it. 

It only took a couple of minutes to get to the place but the horrors are already laid out: blood spewed on the ground, the buildings, and the bodies of many hobgoblins injured and wounded sitting in the ruined area. 

Just up ahead, Rimuru sees the bodies of more hobgoblins but they are laid on the ground, covered by sheets to show... death.

"What... happened here? Are they all... dead?" Rimuru whispered under his breath. Who would have caused this massacre of his people? And why?

"The humans... they mercilessly attacked and killed our people. We--!" 

"Quiet... Stay quiet." Rigurd told the hobgoblin whilst looking at the bodies.

The hobgoblin quickly covered his mouth and bowed for forgiveness.

Rimuru could only block the words coming from the hobgoblin and stare in shock at the scene before him. It angered him. It made him sad. It made him think he failed as a leader.