chapter 2

Penelope had to take at least 20 minutes for her to calm down before facing her mother. Felicity had asked her if she wanted her to accompany her, Prudence did the same, she almost didn't believe Prudence's consideration.
"No darling, I'm managing by myself, I have to."
"The Bridgertons' valet stopped by again to see if Lady Violet, Eloise and Colin could come and see you."
"I don't want to see anyone"
"But Penny..."
"No Felicity, don't insist and now give me another 5 minutes, then I have to arm myself with all my patience to face mum."
"As You Want Penny"

Penelope entered the sitting room where her mother was waiting for her, Portia Featherington was sitting on the sofa sipping her tea, she barely raised her eyes when she heard Penelope coming and then lowered them.
Portia brought the handkerchief to her mouth as she dabbed at it and then looked at her daughter.
"How are you daughter?"
The word "daughter" on Portia's lips was out of tune and Penelope looked at her mother more closely.
She saw her mother fleeing her gaze, and her handkerchief, with which she had just wiped her mouth, crumpled by nervous hands. Portia Featherington didn't want to be there nearly as much as she did.
"Well mother, what did you have to tell me?"
"Our doctor will arrive in half an hour, I would like him to examine you"
Penelope clinked the cup the maid was handing him.
"Mother, as I already told you, I'm fine, the eye is still swollen but I can see well....I don't see why..."
"Not for the face but... for... in short, for heaven's sake don't make me say words that aren't appropriate for a lady..."
"I mean mother, to see if I'm still a virgin? I already told you that she didn't have the time" Penelope had already got up to go out.
The mother had turned purple at the word "virgin" and she had brought her handkerchief to her eyes and dabbed them.
"Mother are you crying?" Penelope regretted being so abrupt.
"How can you be so cruel...I'm very concerned for your reputation. If it hadn't been for Anthony Bridgerton who brought you into the drawing room in front of everyone, no one would have known what had happened to you. And we wouldn't have to fight gossip who insinuate that you are now..you are...contaminated. after all, you said you passed out! How can you be sure that that scoundrel hasn't caught you. You may already have a bastard in your lap. How will I do it later, when everything comes to a head light."
Portia was so wrapped up in her tirade that she didn't notice that Penelope had stormed out of the room in tears.
Portia got up to run after her daughter, she found herself in a locked door.
"Penelope Featherington, open this door right away!! If you don't get examined I can't do anything but find you a husband right away!!"