chapter 5

Penelope was combing her auburn hair, occasionally observing her eye and jaw and wondering how long she would still feel bad.  Not physically but hurting in her chest.  Not being sure of what had really happened made her feel bad.
She was her mother, in fact she was right about her, it was normal that he wanted to marry her soon.
As far as she knew, when a man and a woman are together there is a chance they could conceive a child.
She was almost tempted to run away.. he didn't lack money.  He had saved up quite a bit.  But where could she go?  And when that money ran out?  She couldn't continue her secret life from another country, she would have to start all over again.
She had to really consider a marriage....she had to find a wealthy man so she would have the protection and the ability to continue her secret life.
Foolishly her thoughts went to Colin Bridgerton and his shocked face when she saw his bruises.  His reaction had frightened her.  He would no longer see her as "little Pen" as he called her as a boy but as a compromised woman....
And then she really wanted to have beside her a man who, even when she was "pure and innocent," she had considered a stupid girl in love?
No…there was no more trust between them.
She then thought of the calmness and sweetness that she had glimpsed in Colin's traveling companion ...
"Stop it Penelope, a man like that, who looks like he just came out of a fairy tale book like a prince charming, she wouldn't even notice you ... he just felt sorry for him that's why he was kind"
She heard a soft knock…she smiled, only her little sister Felicity had such a delicate touch
"Enter Felicity"
"Ugh how do you know it's me....are you a fairy?"  she said smiling.
"No darling it's your delicate touch, our mother and Prudence, they seem to want to storm the fort when they knock on our doors"
Felicity guffawed without restraint at her sister's joke then she shut her mouth.
"Sorry...a lady shouldn't laugh like that!!"
"A young woman should feel free to do as she pleases… especially at her home. Tell me why did you seek me out?"
"Ohh damn I forgot, you have visitors and... please .. don't tell me to send him away! He's so sweet with those flowers...."
"That's enough!!! What doesn't he understand about the words "I don't want to see you?"
Penelope picked up her clothes to walk more quickly, she was time to say everything she thought to Colin Bridgerton.
I cross the butler who hastily stepped aside so as not to be overwhelmed by her.
Penelope entered the living room like a sapphire whirlwind, the color of her dress and fiery hair flying wildly.
A vision Lord Drebling would never forget.
"Ohh" said Penelope stopping abruptly and trying to regain her composure.
"Miss Featherington, I officially introduce myself, I'm Lord Drebling, we met yesterday in the park and also on another occasion... I took the liberty of visiting you because I was pleased to see you again... but if you were waiting for someone else"
"No...no, I'm sorry for my dramatic entrance, I was ready to battle someone but I must have misunderstood"
Lord Drebling was mesmerized by the way he pulled himself out of an impasse… which he grinned like a moron, then tried to compose himself.
"I'm glad to see you come in, I'll make you some tea" she said calling the butler and seeing her sister who had remained behind her, she motioned him to enter.  She was still embarrassed but she knew the importance of etiquette, she couldn't be alone with a man.
"You already know my sister Felicity," Lord Drebling replied with a bow.
He then he leaned towards her Penelope but leaving due space so as not to make her uncomfortable and handed her the bouquet of flowers that he still held in his hand.
Only then did Penelope look straight into her eyes, blue like hers but a thousand times more beautiful than her and Lord Drebling couldn't say a word.