Chapter 1 - Unbearable Lightness

The light was so bright.

It came so suddenly, an unreal ominous sign of what was about to happen. This is impossible... I thought to myself. I had always lived by what was right. By the rules set before me, trying to be as respectful of all that was taught to me yet open to what I understood not. This wasn't right. I didn't deserve this.

It was late. I had worked long hours all day, and finally it was time for me to sleep. I hopped off the bus at my stop, conveniently across from my building, and waited for the traffic lights to turn red before I began to cross the street. The street was empty with the exception of one car up ahead, slowly coming towards me. They always stopped. The streetlights made it clear to see me, and never before had I had a reason to believe someone would not stop.

As I crossed I sang to myself, excited to finally be able to close my eyes. I was about to hop off of the road onto the sidewalk when confusion set it. I was lying twenty feet away from the sidewalk in the middle of the road. I tried to understand why I was lying on the ground, but it didn't make sense. I slowly lifted my right arm, the only thing that would move, and saw it bloodied and the hand broken. I gasped and tried to breathe but a sudden pain racked my entire body. A few feet away was the car that had been coming from a distance, it's bumper covered in blood. My blood I realized. I waited as the world began to spin for someone to run out and help me, but instead watched as the car sped away, guilt tainting the air around me. The bright light faded and the world went dark.