Chapter Twelve: Reflection

"Once upon a time, there was a man who became obsessed with his own reflection..."

"I don't like this story. Read me another one, rabbit."

"Oh. Alright."

***

In the present.

The little mirror, surrounded a golden oval frame, sat motionlessly on his office desk. The clean mirror surface sparkled, even in the dim morning light.

The White Rabbit stared down at his own reflection.

A white-haired young man, seemingly in his twenties--however, he knew he was much older than he looked. He had red eyes, thin lips, and sunken cheeks. He was frowning and his lips were pursed, as though he were deep in thought.

Slowly, he reached up and touched his own face.

That face overlapped with an image of a white-haired boy. His very own face, much younger and covered in the dirt/grime of the city slums. His very own eyes, filled with hope and longing for a better life.

As he looked as his own face, he remembered events in the past. He tried to imagine how he must've looked to those around him.

A thin little boy with cautious eyes. He snapped forward to snatch the money before running away without looking back.

A tall thin young man with a serious expression. He moved his hand around as he made public speeches; his words were sophisticated and persuasive.

A white-haired man with swollen eyes. He staggered and collapsed against a wall. In a hoarse whisper: 'He's dead. I can't believe he's really dead.'

Scraps of images and sounds swirled in his mind. At last the cacophony reached its breaking point and, like a string snapping in half, the memories stopped.

The Rabbit shuddered, as though shocked. He was knocked back into reality.

He raised his hand to his chest and closed his eyes. He felt the rhythm of his heartbeat.

Tick-tock, tick-tock.

***

Now that he felt calmer, the Rabbit did a couple of things.

First, he summoned some servants to fix the window. The spade symbol on their badges meant they were craftsmen, gardeners, cooks, etc. Then, he went to his office.

As he sat down to continue his work, the Jack of Diamonds came to speak with him.

"Good, you're here," the Rabbit waved his hand for him to step into the room. "So what happened last night? Where is the King of Hearts right now?"

"...I don't know."

The Rabbit looked up, alarmed. "I thought I told you to follow him."

"I lost him in the alleys in the city." The Diamond Jack looked nervous and surprised. Perhaps he thought the King had already returned to the castle.

The Rabbit glanced at the clock. It was already 9 o'clock in the morning. "Why didn't you tell me this immediately?"

"You were up late last night, so I thought you'd like to sleep in."

The Rabbit opened his mouth and closed it again. Then he said, "Alright. Next time, report to me immediately."

The Diamond Jack bowed and exited the room with an inexpressive face.

Now that the Rabbit was alone, the room seemed much bigger. There was much more space among the mahogany furniture, and the pile of paperwork on his office also seemed to be bigger. The Rabbit felt his head was beginning to hurt, so he pressed his hand against his forehead and leaned on the table.

He always thought the Diamond Jack wasn't too reliable when it came to things like this. Yet, he continued to send the Jack on errands and spying missions. This was because he knew the Jack was the sort who didn't talk much; he could count on the Jack to keep his mouth shut and keep the lid on sensitive affairs.

Still...

The Rabbit didn't think things could turn out any worse. The King of Roses had gone missing after saying those terrifying things. 'When I die, I'll bring everyone down with me.' His voice rang in the Rabbit's head.

Where would all of them go from here?