Chapter Six: What Do You Want?

"You mustn't tell lies because it's wrong. If someone asks you anything, you should answer honestly."

"I don't understand, Mr. Hatter."

"Oh? And why is that?"

"Sometimes when a person asks a question, they might not want an honest answer. Maybe they're looking for something other than the truth."

***

The first thing the rabbit did was to seal the dungeon. He must limit the number of people who knew about the princess's death.

He drafted a letter to the King of Hearts, claiming his daughter had fallen sick. Then, he drafted another letter, which he'd send in a few months, where he claimed the princess passed away due to illness.

Hopefully, it wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.

Of course, he'd also have to compensate the Kingdom of Hearts for the loss of their princess. But at least it wasn't as bad as people thinking the princess was murdered.

Even under the orange lamplight, his skin seemed pale and soft. He rubbed his temple to help himself concentrate. There were letters to write, treatises to review. Outside, the sun inched down the sky, and the world was getting darker.

Five hours passed like this.

***

8:45 pm, said the clock. He promised to meet the king at 9 pm.

Hopefully, the king would listen to what he had to say. With a grunt, he hauled himself onto his feet, pulled on a jacket, and headed outside.

The king was already waiting in the garden. He was sitting on a marble bench, fidgeting and looking down at his lap. His shoulders were round and rolled-over, and his neck was bent downwards like a tired horse.

Everything seemed different in the soft dusk. The grass, veiled in a purple light. The wind, brushing past the trees. The king, his entire face hidden in shadow. He suddenly seemed very young. The rabbit tried to remember how old he was again. Fourteen, was it...?

Without thinking about it, the rabbit rushed to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Are... what are you doing?"

The king looked up. His eyes flickered like emeralds. For a moment, the rabbit felt as though they were swaying on a wooden raft in the middle of the ocean. Swaying, waiting, together.

Then the moment of weakness passed.

The king stepped up and stepped away. "You asked me to meet you here, to talk about the prophecy."

"Right, of course, but I meant..." the rabbit coughed and also took a step back. "Nevermind."

A few seconds passed as he gathered his thoughts.

'According to the prophecy, a girl called Alice will come from another world. She held the key to kingdom.'

'With her powers, she'll kill the tyrannical king and save the world from suffering.'

Before the king could say anything, the rabbit spoke. "When did you find out?"

"Why didn't you tell me, rabbit?" replied the king. "You knew since I was a child."

"Prophecies don't always come true--" the rabbit's voice became slightly strained. He had to stretch his neck up for their gazes to clash, since the king was taller than him. "If only you didn't become... then the prophecy wouldn't have-"

Anger passed over the king's face. He clenched his fists but released them a few moments later. "But rabbit, don't you remember what happened the king who came before me? Do you remember what you did to him?"

"You're not listening to me. I never meant..." the rabbit trailed off when he saw the unbelieving look on the king's face. Frustrated, he collapsed onto the marble bench and ran a hand through his white hair.

The sun sank deeper and deeper into the edge of the earth. A moon rose slowly into the sky, and the night appeared as though the curtains had been drawn on stage.

With careful gentle steps, the king began to circle the rabbit.

"Aren't you angry?" he said.

There'd been a subtle shift in his voice. The tone became rounder and smoother, and it took on a seductive quality.

"This girl named Alice is going to kill me no matter what I do, simply because of a dumb prophecy. Aren't you angry about that?"

"Angry...?" the rabbit tried to look away, but the king pressed in on him.

Leaning in, leaning down, the king placed his lips right next to the rabbit's ear. As he spoke, the rabbit could feel warm breath on his skin.

"Help me, White Rabbit," the king whispered, "When I die, I want to bring everyone down with me. This kingdom, this palace, this girl... everyone. I want you to help me with that."

The rabbit looked up blankly, blinked. Then their gazes met.

Those eyes were dark red like rubies, and in the first moment, they met with the king's own gaze. But in the next moment, they broke free and darted away like an animal scurrying down a road.

At last, the rabbit shook his head. Then, he lowered his head and buried his face into his hands.

As a cold wind blew against their bodies, the king felt a chill creep up his spine.

He shook his head, pushing away the unpleasant sensation. Adjusting the crown on his head, he forced a grin onto his face and said, "Let me know when you change your mind."

Just like that, he marched away and didn't look back.

The rabbit's legs felt tired. He continued sitting there with his head down for several minutes before getting up and stumbling back to his office.

How long had the king known this? What was his plan, and when did it begin to take form? The rabbit realized he didn't know as much as he thought he did.