Chapter Thirty-Nine: Reunions

"I don't want to sleep alone, Rabbit. I'm scared of the dark."

"It's ok, Your Highness. I'll see you again in the morning."

"Really? Promise?"

"Yeah. Nothing bad can happen forever; everything works out in the end."

***

At the castle wall.

In the darkness of the night, people were slipping out of the city via a secret tunnel dug through the wall. It was narrow, and they had to get down on four limbs to crawl through. On the other side was an endless forest with only a narrow path leading to other places.

The March Hare and the Cheshire Cat stood watch at the tunnel, keeping an eye out for stray patrol soldiers. Suddenly the Cat narrowed her eyes. Then her eyes widened and she stepped towards the Hare. "That's the White Rabbit," the Cat whispered. "And I assume that's the King of Roses, and that's the Mad Hatter."

The Hare froze as well. Nevertheless, she recomposed herself and stepped forward to greet them.

"What the fuck are any of you doing here?"

The Rabbit quickly explained that the princess had been able to escape, and they were now looking for her.

The Hare shook her head. "Will it really make it better for the Kingdom of Hearts? Will they really stop the war, just because the princess has been found?"

Just then, however, a cloaked figure walked towards them. The figure pulled off the cloak, and revealed a familiar face.

Everybody gasped. "The Princess of Hearts!"

The Princess looked at the Rabbit and the King expressionlessly. Then she said, "I'd been laying low in the city for the past few days. Now I must speak to my father."

After some discussion, they decided the Cat would stay at the wall looking after the tunnel. The Hare, the Rabbit, the King, the Hatter, and the Princess would venture towards the center of the city to meet with the King of Hearts, who was leading the army.

The group went all the way to the Castle, where the King of Hearts and the Generals from the Kingdom of Hearts were stationed.

They were immediately apprehended by guards and brought to the throne room.

The King's eyes widened when he saw the Princess. They embraced each other as they reunited. Then, they both stood apart and stood face to face with the Rabbit, etc.

The Rabbit spoke. "Draw back your soldiers. This time, it was an easy invasion because this kingdom had issues from the inside. But in the long run, by occupying this land, our people will fight back and it will become a war of attrition for both this kingdom and yours."

The King of Hearts shook his head. "The tensions between our kingdoms had been long-lasting, and for more reasons than a missing daughter. You have always been hostile towards us and some of the Northern Countries, due to our different laws about magic use."

But then suddenly the King of Hearts stopped dead in his tracks. His gaze fell upon a person who had previously been standing to the edge of the group, her face concealed in shadows.

"I am the March Hare," she stepped forward and introduced herself.

"Y-You are the long lost princess who was friends with King Jasper, one hundred years ago!"