Chapter 17

After experiencing the insane pricing from the luxury mall we toured, this other store has much more reasonable prices. Compared to three thousand dollar dresses that looked like the quality was a fifth of the cost, the clothing at this place seemed to be much more equal in terms of quality for the price. It was nice to see and feel, of course. And the clothes were actually wearable in a normal situation without worrying about getting robbed due to the name-branding.

According to Kiara, this store was a fairly new brand that had been established about five years ago. I had seen advertisements for it on TV before, which is pretty cool.

A few minutes after we walked inside, it hit me that my feet were sore. Loki silently directed me to sit down on a plush sofa outside of one of the four changing room areas of this large store. I flopped down with a sigh, closing my eyes for a minute to relax.

I could hear Loki and Kiara talking, although their voices were getting farther away. Leviathan and Ladon were having some sort of business discussion in a quiet area towards the back. Thus, it was fairly peaceful during my rest break.

My phone buzzed to let me know I had a text, but I ignored it and let myself rest. Another text came in, which made me grunt and grab it from my back pocket. I peered at the screen and noticed it was a couple texts from probably a wrong number or a scammer. I did my bit of research, hoped for the best, and told the person the number was wrong. I changed my phone's settings a bit and now I don't have to worry that a text will bother me, but my favorites can still call if there's a problem.

I heaved a sigh as I dropped my head back and closed my eyes. Finally, peace and quiet.

"What is a pretty woman like you sighing about?"

I was a bit startled by the deep male voice nearby, but I assumed a woman was also around, so I didn't answer.

"Are you ignoring me?"

I snapped my eyes open when the man sat down next to me on the sofa. I sat up and looked at the stranger with wide eyes, confusion clear on my face.

"Are you talking to me?" I asked.

He dipped his head as a response. I blinked a few times, then chuckled dryly.

"Thanks for the compliment, but I am a guy."

The man's eyebrows hopped up. "You did have a deeper voice than I was expecting, but that's interesting. May I ask why you were sighing?"

I carefully eyed his face. His dark brown eyes looked fairly innocent, but Holly fooled me before.

"A wrong number interrupted my rest time."

"I understand the annoyance. It's unusual for me to not get bothered on my day off."

"Mhm," I hummed, then straightened on the sofa. "Do you shop here?"

He shrugged. "Yes, sometimes. Why do you ask?"

"I was just wondering if people with lots of money tend to flock here."

I gestured to his expensive-looking outfit, which consisted of a proper suit with a suit jacket, leather shoes, a nice tie, a watch that was likely worth more than my weight in cash, fancy cufflinks, and a jeweled lapel pin.

The man chuckled. "Perhaps they do. Which family do you hail from?"

I couldn't find an answer fast enough, so he pressed for my reply. I sighed and rubbed my face.

"Let's just make it simple and say I had a shitty childhood at home with really terrible parents. I happened to be a nosy kid, so I ended up meeting a good family who I was reunited with fairly recently. Due to my past with their kids, they 'owed' me a favor and I asked to be part of their family. So, here I am."