Chapter 1: The Journey Begins

It was a hot summer day in the Mushroom Kingdom. Edwin woke up, stretching a bit before getting out of bed. He wearily crossed the living room and made his way to the kitchen, where he found Luigi humming merrily and making pancakess. Their dog Polterpup sat next to Luigi, hoping that he would leave him a piece of food. Luigi saw Edwin come in and sit down at the table.

"Good morning, Edwin." Luigi chirped cheerfully.

"G'morning Luigi. Where's Mario?" Edwin asked as he watched Polter try to steal the pancake.

"He went up to the castle to do a few laps on the obstacle course. Peach made some upgrades and he wanted to try it." Luigi replied, gently pushing Polter away.

"Typical Mario. I bet he didn't even have breakfast, did he?" Edwin questioned

"He had a granola bar." Luigi stated as he finished making the pancakes.

"Eh, better than nothing." Edwin said as he watched Polter successfully nab a pancake.

"Ey!" Luigi exclaimed as Polter ran off with the pancake. Edwin laughed and then sighed happily.

"At least Polter is having breakfast." He commented. Polter ate his pancake happily. Luigi shrugged and served Edwin a couple pancakes before sitting down and eating some pancakes himself.

"What are you guys gonna do while I'm gone?" Edwin inquired as he and Luigi ate.

"Oh, uh, I'm not actually sure. To be honest I had kind of forgotten you were going to visit your nephews and niece." Luigi responded.

"I mean you, Mario, Bowser, and Kamek are the only ones who do know. It's a surprise for the kids. Thy miss me an awful lot. Plus, Lemmy and Larry's birthdays are coming up and I never miss their birthdays." Edwin said as his tail swayed a bit.

"Isn't Iggy's birthday soon as well?" Luigi asked. Edwin's ears shot up.

"You're right! His birthday is tomorrow! Good thing Kamek and Bowser are picking me up today, that would've been disastrous if I wasn't there for Iggy's birthday." Edwin stated.

"Would've been the first time you missed one of their birthdays." Luigi pointed out.

"Yeah, and I don't intend on ever doing that." Edwin replied as he finished his pancakes. He got up and rinsed off his plate, placing it in the dishwasher.

"You got everything ready to go?" Luigi inquired.

"I was just about to go check. I have about an hour, give or take a few minutes until I leave." Edwin estimated as he walked back to his room to make sure he had everything he would need packed up. He had shoes, clothes, his handheld gaming devices, batteries and chargers, his phone, wallet, his glasses, his art supplies, everything he could possibly need. He then packed Lemmy and Larry's birthday gifts. He had gotten both as many things as he coud afford that was on their birthday lists. He brought his bags out to the living room and saw Mario walk in.

"Hey Mario." He greeted.

"Oh hi Edwin. You got your stuff packed for your trip?" Mario asked.

"Yep, I just finished packing actually." Edwin answered. Mario walked over and sat down by Edwin. Luigi also walked over and sat by him.

"Got time for a couple rounds of Mariokart before you leave?" Mario asked. Edwin looked at him and smiled.

"Of course I do." He responded as he picked up his controller. Mario and Luigi picked up their controllers as well and they played round after round of Mariokart. Ultimately, Edwin won all rounds. He had gotten extremely good at winning lately. After a while the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." Luigi said, getting up and opening the door. Bowser and Kamek greeted him. Edwin bounded over to the door with his bags.

"Hello!" He exclaimed, smiling.

"Hello young sire, are you ready to see your niece and nephews?" Kamek inquired.

"Of course I am Kamek! I miss them a lot!" Edwin replied. He hugged both Mario and Luigi as Kamek and Bowser put his bags in their car. Edwin smiled at the brothers.

"Remeber Edwin, we're here if you need anything." Luigi stated.

"Yeah, just give us a call if you need anything." Mario added.

"Thanks guys. See you soon." Edwin said as he turned around and left the house. Mario closed the door as Edwin got in Bowser's car. They began driving. As they drove, Edwin asked Bowser to stop by the toy store so he could buy Iggy some birthday presents. After the quick stop they were back on their way to Bowser's kingdom.