Sorry, Penny

EVANS GABRIEL CHARM

Within the hustle and bustle of the city, I can still have a small getaway by the bay, where you could feel the wind brushing your face and enjoy the scenery.

Mixture of laughter, sound of people chit chatting, and of course, sound of waves. They lift a heavy load off me, which soothes and calms me. It's a painkiller, a short escape from this cruel reality where nobody really cares about you. Because all they really care is what they get in return.

I love taking photos, it feels like I stopped time for a moment just for me. It allows me to savour the moment for as long as I want to. The memories you'll never be able to relive, they'll stay in your heart. I set my camera on the rock to get a view of the sea with all the boats and the blue sky.

Slowly, I walk down to the old pier, with my camera. A white boat from afar is sailing towards my direction. It looks like a fishing boat returning to sell off the aquatic animals he caught for the past few days. I could see the fisherman's face of triumphant, he must have gotten a really big and rare fish.

I had a sudden thought, things don't last forever. These fishes, once sold off, it'll get digested in our intestine, it wouldn't last. Love you've once locked in Paris. All the love locks on the Pont des Arts Bridge in Paris will be removed eventually.

"Evans?"

I hear someone calling me. She sounds familiar, but I just couldn't tell who. I turn around, there's no one. Instantly, everything started to turn grey.

The sound of waves instantly sounded like they are going to gobble me up. They sound of fiery and ferocious. The sound of people chit chatting seemed like people shouting at me. The blue sky, instantly turned lilac, but purple just wasn't right.

I felt my head pounding.

My vision started to blur.

I felt hot, my heart was racing.

I jolted up and looked at my surroundings. I'm not at a pier. There isn't any boat. I don't have my camera here. It was just a dream. But, where am I?

It took me a while to realise I was in a hospital and everything came back to me. I was singing to Katy Perry. I was with my girlfriend. I was in a car accident.

I was with Penny.

PENNY! Where is she?

I got off the hospital bed and started roaming around the hospital. I came to a concierge and asked the nurse there.

"Excuse me, is there a patient Penelope Grace?" I asked politely. I may look calm, deep down inside my heart is beating like there's no tomorrow.

I watched as the nurse searched through the system. I was tapping my finger on the counter. It's a habit whenever I'm anxious.

"Yes, she is in the ICU ward, room 4-28."

"Thanks," I replied with a generous smile. ICU ward, Penny's in the ICU ward. The accident must have caused her some serious damage.

Oh no, what have I done? What have I done to my Penny?

I thought as I made my way up to her room. She's sleeping soundly with wires connected from her wrist to a drip. The computer is beeping normally, I let out a sigh. Penny is alright.

I caressed her cheek. They are soft and tender. I bend over and gave her a peck on her lips. I held her hand in mine, it feels like home again. She looks so peaceful, not like the usual hyper and happy go lucky her. I miss her.

The door opened and her doctor came in. "Hi, you must be her friend," she said to me. Her name tag read Dr Michelle.

"Yes, I am. How is she?" I asked.

"She's fine now, but she had a concussion so it might take her some time to wake,"

"So, she's in a coma?"

The doctor looked at me with pitiful eyes, "yes, she is," Her reply was like a dagger, it stabbed me right in the chest.

Penny is comatose.

Because of me.

No words could describe the way I feel now. I put my source of happiness, someone I love so much there's no other person to replace, into coma. I feel anger, sadness, hurt and pain all in one.

I'm sorry, Penny.

I left the room and went to the roof to get some fresh air. Tears welled up in my eyes as they started to stream down. What have I done?