The Calm Before the Storm 1935-1939

Bolded Word: Most Important Event of the Year

Underlined Words: Significant Events

Bolded, Underlined and Italic Words: Important Declaration of Wars

Italic and Underlined: End of a War between nations

Bolded and Underlined: Important events of a War, Battles/Occupation of key cities.

Bolded and Italic: Founding of an international governmental organization or Treaties by international governmental organizations or events by said organization.

1935: Amelia Earhart becomes the first person to complete a solo flight from Hawaii to California, a distance of 2,408 miles. Due to delays in negotiations, the White Start Line and Cunard Line merge to form the White Star-Cunard Line, with the White Star Line owning 57% of the shares while Cunard owned 33%, the number of shares was determined by how many ships each company had before the merger. The Panzerwaffen is formed as a branch of the Kaiserlich Heer in Germany. The Nazis in Austria are destroyed and Charles I is restored to the thrown with the Treaty of Vienna. In Romania, communist forces conduct a coup against the monarchy and its government, establishing the Commune of Romania. Reza Shah of Iran asks the international community to formally adopt the name "Iran" to refer to the country, in place of the name "Persia". The United Commune of France remilitarizes the Nancy region as the 15 years of demilitarization have passed. The LMR Étoile Rouge battleship is launched, being the first Battleship to be built by France since the Great War, the MN Dunkerque is launched on the same day at Mers-El-Kébir. The Government of India Act is passed by the British Parliament, providing the establishment of a "Federation of India" and a degree of autonomy. The Construction on the RMS Oceanic and RMS Queen Mary resumes. The London and North Eastern Railway's first A4 Class streamlined steam locomotive A4 2509 Silver Link makes her inaugural journey, from London King's Cross. U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicates the Hoover Dam. The USSR sends an ultimatum to Mongolia, they must allow Soviet troops to be stationed there or be invaded, and Mongolia would submit to the demands the next day. The London and North Eastern Railway commenced the Silver Jubilee, Britain's first streamlined train service. The Chinese civil war came to a stalemate, with the PRC in the north(Supported by France and the USSR) and the ROC in the south(Unsupported but with most of the army infrastructure). 1935 United Kingdom general election: Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin returns to office at the head of a National Government led by the Conservative Party, with a large but reduced majority. The Douglas DST, the prototype of the Douglas DC-3 airliner, first flew in the United States. The Commune of Mexico invades Guatemala and annexes it a week later. Pravda publishes a letter from Pavel Postyshev, who revives the New Year tree tradition in the Soviet Union.

1936: George V, King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions and Emperor of India, dies at his Sandringham Estate. The Prince of Wales succeeds to the throne of the United Kingdom as King Edward VIII. State funeral of George V of the United Kingdom. After a procession through London, he is buried at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. Radium E (bismuth-210) becomes the first radioactive element to be made synthetically. 1936 Spanish general election: The left-wing Popular Front coalition takes a majority. Construction of Hoover Dam is completed in the United States. Construction of Hoover Dam is completed in the United States. Pro-democratic militarist Keisuke Okada stays as the Prime Minister of Japan after other politicians convinced him to stay. The Second London Naval Treaty is signed, with the Escalator Clause being triggered by the French (See Second London Naval Treaty for details). Focke-Wulf Fw 61, the first fully controllable helicopter, makes its maiden flight. RMS Queen Mary and RMS Oceanic were both launched on the same day. The Spanish Army of Africa launches a coup d'état against the Second Spanish Republic, beginning the Spanish Civil War. The 1936 Summer Olympics open in Berlin, Germany, and mark the first live television coverage of an international sports event in world history. The Anglo-Egyptian Treaty of 1936 is signed. The USSR annexes Tannu Tuva. English-born aviator Beryl Markham becomes the first woman to make an east-to-west solo transatlantic flight, from Abingdon-on-Thames, England, to Baleine, Nova Scotia. French and Soviet volunteer forces arrive at Barcelona. Backed by Mexican and French communists, a Far-Left Nationalist (Not National Socialist) regime comes to power in Argentina. Joseph Stalin's Great Purge begins in the Soviet Union. The BBC launches the world's first regular television service in high-definition (according to contemporary standards). The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) begins radio in Canada. A socialist puppet government is set up in Mongolia. 1936 United States presidential election: Franklin D. Roosevelt is reelected to a second term, in a landslide victory over Kansas Governor Alf Landon. A large fire damaged The Crystal Palace, which was built for the 1851 Great Exhibition. The 1936 Soviet Constitution, promulgated by Stalin, is adopted in the Soviet Union. The Transcaucasian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic is dissolved, and Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia become full Republics of the Soviet Union. KMS Scharnhorst is launched, she is the first capital ship launched by Germany since the SMS Baden (She is slightly different from the one in OTL). King Edward VIII of the United Kingdom signs an instrument of abdication at Fort Belvedere, Surrey in the presence of his three brothers, The Duke of York, The Duke of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent. The British Parliament passes His Majesty's Declaration of Abdication Act 1936 on behalf of the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. The King performs his last act as sovereign by giving Royal Assent to the Act, and his brother Prince Albert, Duke of York, becomes King, reigning as King George VI. LMR Fraternité is launched in France, the second of the Étoile Rouge class battleships, the MN Strasbourg is launched on the same day at Algiers.