[30] - Shattered

In the morning, I wake up refreshed. The frustration that chained me down last night has loosened, and I slip out of my tree to start my day. Up until now, I've had a morning routine, and I only now realize how adjusted I've become to living in this place. Most of my morning activities revolve around the lake, or the river before it, so there's not much left for me to do but wander the Arena. Still, I've started to feel accustomed to this grove, as if I've finally become a natural part of it.

Before I begin my search for Sienna, I lean back against another tree, examining my wound from yesterday. A small hole remains in my foot from the thorn I stepped on, but other than that, it looks nearly healed. I hope it won't get infected; I tried to keep it off the ground after it was injured, but I can't afford the luxury of staying off-ground today. I need to start looking for food and a new source of water.

Just as I'm about to head out, a booming sound shatters the serene mood of the grove. Above me, a flock of birds flies overhead, squawking at the unexpected noise.

"Hello, tributes!" A cheery voice calls, echoing across the Arena. I recognize that voice - it's Ross Carmichael, the Host of the Games. I freeze as he begins his announcement; whatever he has to say, it must be important.

"Congratulations on surviving past the halfway point of these Games," Ross continues. "To celebrate, the Gamemakers are offering each of you a very special gift. Inside the Cornucopia placed at the center of the Arena, one bag has been left for each of you. These bags contain personalized gifts that could be vital to help each of you survive until the end of the Games."

My heart soars at this news. The possibilities are endless - food! Medicine! Even a picture of my brother could give me the strength to survive a little longer.

"Any sibling pairs still remaining in the Games will share one bag," Ross announces. "These bags will contain a small bonus gift as a reward for surviving this far into the Games. Tributes are prohibited from taking any bag other than their own. Good luck, tributes, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

Before Ross is even done talking, I'm running through the grove. Sienna... Sienna will be at the Feast...

Only after a few seconds do I remember that I have no idea where I am. Like a rabid animal, I wildly claw my way up a tree, my eyes locking on the Cornucopia. I practically jump from the top of the tree, sprinting in the right direction.

My heart races as I run. This is it... after days of waiting, I'll finally be reunited with Sienna. Not to mention, the Gamemakers have left us gifts that can help us make it to the end. Hope is not lost after all.

Finally, the Cornucopia comes into view. The last time I was here, I almost got Damien and I killed when I ran out into the Bloodbath defenseless. This time, I have one knife to protect me, but I don't feel any safer than I did then. If I'm not careful, the Careers will make quick work of me.

The thought of the Careers makes me shudder. My mind was so focused on Sienna that I forgot that the other tributes would be here too. I've had so many nightmares of Midas, and I may have to face him again today, whether I like it or not.

I'm broken from my thoughts by a movement in my peripheral vision. I glance over to see a girl sprinting toward the Cornucopia. It's the girl from Ten, the one whose brother just died. She glances behind her as she runs before turning back to face the Cornucopia, ducking into its wide-lipped mouth. A few seconds later, the girl re-emerges, her black curls bouncing down her back as she sprints away.

Suddenly, the girl from Ten stops in her tracks, slipping to the ground as she attempts to change her course. Scrambling to her feet, she drops her bag and sprints in the opposite direction. She's too late, though; I watch as Midas and Amanda enter the clearing behind her. Amanda reaches back, rearing her spear and launching it at the other girl. The girl from Ten screams as the spear embeds itself in her back, and she falls to the ground. A few seconds later, a cannon shot booms. Midas cheers, wrapping Amanda in an embrace before allowing her to pull her bloody spear from her victim's back.