Prologue: Preceding dawn

(A/N. Original part released: July 6, 2023)

[JN's pov]

"Embrace the challenges that lie ahead, for you've already come so far in this journey called life. Refuse to succumb to the obstacles; instead, use them as stepping stones to grow and evolve. Every hardship has a purpose, and your response to them determines your path forward."

"I understand, brother, and appreciate your advice. I'm curious about the sudden passing of the role to me." I expressed before lifting my coffee mug to take a sip and resume my thoughts. As I mentioned earlier, I'm only 19 years old and approaching the end of my first year in engineering. Though I've begun a legitimate and reliable robotics project, I don't have tangible evidence yet to demonstrate my worthiness for the administrator role. This uncertainty is making me question whether I can handle it."

Lost in my own thoughts, I failed to notice my brother gently placing his hand on my shoulder for a comforting gesture. This action grabbed my attention, prompting me to turn towards him. "Jameson Niles, as your elder brother and the current administrator who will soon step down, it is a significant milestone for you to undertake. During our time together at the station, I have observed the necessary qualities of an administrator in you, making you a suitable candidate for the next administrator role. I have faith in your ability to handle the position effectively," my brother conveyed, motivating me. However, despite his encouraging words, his message did not address the lingering question in my mind. "But why? Why are you passing the role to me so abruptly?" I inquired, still perplexed by his unexpected decision to pass the responsibility on to me.

Before approaching a cabinet in his office, John paused to take a deep breath. He then proceeded to open the drawer and retrieve a document, which seemed to be a piece of paper. After gently closing the drawer, he made his way back to me and extended the paper to me. Clutching it tightly, I examined the contents, realizing they were recent medical test results. "JN, I am sick and I am dying," he revealed. My heart plummeted at his words, sinking into a profound sadness upon hearing his disclosure.

[Puro's pov]

"I'm amazed by all these stars in the sky! It's wonderful that Doctor K created this telescope for us to use. Is this what they call stargazing, like in the books we've read?" I inquired, captivated by the celestial spectacle through the recently invented telescope by Doctor K. As I turned away to glance at my affectionate anthropomorphic wolf companion, Colin, who had his paws tightly clasped together, I could sense his nervousness. "Y-Yeah," Colin responded, his words tinged with unease. His tense expression and the way he held his paws reinforced my assumption. "That's alright, Colin! You're giving it your best, and it appears that Doctor K's speech program is making progress in assisting you," I reassured the white wolf. Colin blushed in response, and I chuckled at him before returning my gaze to the early morning stars, continuing to appreciate their beauty through the telescope.

Suddenly, I felt a pair of arms enveloping my shoulders, drawing me into a warm embrace. I shifted my gaze from the telescope to see Colin, my white wolf companion, now hugging me affectionately from my right. It was a heartwarming sight, him embracing me under the mesmerizing starry night sky. I couldn't help but chuckle in response, appreciating the adorable gesture. Returning my attention to the telescope, I continued my observation of the night sky and stumbled upon something peculiar. Among the stars, there was an object floating in the heavens, slightly larger than the surrounding celestial bodies. As I focused the telescope on the object, a realization slowly dawned on me, leaving me stunned.

"Colin! I believe I've discovered a... Space station! Would you like to take a look through the telescope and see it too?" I exclaimed, offering the telescope to Colin, positioning it in front of him. Excitedly, Colin peered through the telescope, taking his time to explore the vastness of the night sky before eventually turning to face me. His nod provided the answer to the question I had asked earlier. A joyful smile formed on my face as I rose from my position on the floor. "I never imagined that stargazing on the rooftop of our library would be this enjoyable! Let's inform Doctor K downstairs about the space station we've found. Perhaps he has some insights," I suggested, extending my paw towards Colin, signaling for him to stand up. Though Colin appeared a bit flustered, he reached out and firmly grasped my paw, allowing me to help him up from the floor.