"People Always Leave?"

When I first heard the statement, "People always leave" I laughed. It wasn't a little giggle, it was a wholehearted, keel over, clap like a seal guffaw. I mean, people don't leave. And to say that they 'always' leave is a major overstatement.

In the past year, though, the statement has been ringing truer in my ears. Over and over again. Being let down by loved ones seems to have become a daily routine now.

Whoever first said this, though, didn't take into account the fact that the people who leave usually come back. They make you trust them again, bare your heart and soul to them, only to leave you alone in the end. Again. The ones you love most tend to do this multiple times.

Is this just human nature? Or are all of us so repulsive to each other that we keep on having to take a break from them?

Some of my closest friends, whom I've known for about 8-10 years, seem to have forgotten that I exist. Some others left as soon as they got to see "the real me". Or some have been atrocious enough to throw me away after they've used me, like a tissue.

The one thing these people have in common is that they all came back - only to leave me alone again, of course.

But can you really blame the people who leave? You've probably done the same without knowing it. Or maybe done something to drive them away. They must have done something to have driven you away at one point or the other.

Clearly, no one can be blamed for leaving.

Yet, the question remains - can this continuous cycle of people leaving each other ever really end, if the entire world is doing it, through choice or not?

In the end, it's each one to themselves.