The Age of The Internet

The setbacks of the internet are numerous. The one that is glorified the most though, just happens to be the biggest setback of them all - communication.

Allow me to elaborate.

While social media now allows us to get to know people from all over the world, and keep in touch with people, it is making us forget about the real world. Little by little. It has become so that two people who are extremely close probably can't even give a greeting to each other in real life.

And this isn't even something that happens to two friends. So many relationships exist today which are created and happen only on social media. What sense does that even make? A couple is so "in love" with each other, but at school or any place real, they sit next to each other awkwardly, wishing with all their might that they're anywhere else in the entire world.

When I say these things, I speak from experience. It's so awkward for me to actually talk to the people that I'm close to online when I actually come across them in real life. I have been a part of an "online relationship". It was my first relationship, and that's how it went. Although, fortunately, love was never mentioned. The "great internet" ruined my very first experience.

But all of this happening is, in all actuality, our own fault, is it not? We let it get between our everyday lives and mess it all up.

Even if the majority of it is our fault, the question still remains whether the internet is such a good place after all.

I also take Wattpad itself as an example. Most people here who write, probably have never showed anything that they have written to people they know, and yet do it quite freely here.