IV. April

~April~

            “Are you really sure you want to meet them?” I ask anxiously, tugging a piece of string from my shirt.

            Mina throws me an exasperated look from the passenger seat. “I’ve answered the same question a billion times. I really do,” She says sincerely, her bright eye piercing mine.

            I tap the steering wheel quickly, to anxious and worried about what she would think of my foster family.

            “I don’t have to meet them if you don’t want me to,” Mina suddenly whispers, placing her hand over mine.

            Scratching the back of my head, I squint against the sun. “Well you see…they’ve never had to meet someone that I’ve known….”

            Understanding flashes through Mina’s face and she sits back. “Oh,” She says quietly.

            I was sure it was going to be awkward for everyone. My foster parents never had to meet any of my friends because for one, I didn’t want any, and for two, I was rarely home to get past a conversation of ‘Hi’ and ‘bye’.

            Mina was a girl too…. they would probably think that she was-

            A sharp rap pierces through the air making both Mina and I jump in the car. Turning to the left, I stare wide-eyed at Carol, my foster mother.

            Oh crap.

                                    ~*~

            “So you said you guys met at the dinner?” Carol asks trying to start a conversation as Mina and I sit at a table, across from Jim, Carol and Jane, a plate of cookies resting in the middle of the table.

            I reach for a cookie and shove it into my mouth and Jane makes a funny face at me.

            I smile with the cookies in my mouth and Jane giggles, her child like laugh making me want to laugh as well.

            It wasn’t until Carol cleared her throat that I remembered Mina was here.

            Feeling a bit embarrassed, I grin sheepishly at my foster parents who had an incredulous smile to their faces.

            They must be really surprised I think to myself, I rarely smiled or did anything with Jane when I was home.

            “Well you seem really nice Mina,” Jim interjects into the awkward silence.

            Mina beams charmingly “Thank you. I hope I will be able to come and visit more often,” She says, shooting a meaningful look at me.

            I duck my head and snicker. Was she being serious?

            I feel something hard kick into my shin and I yelp, making my foster parents jump.

            “Are you ok sweetie?” Carol asks me, I smile trying to hide a grimace at the pain shooting up my leg as Mina smiles smugly.

            “Hey Mina,” I say faking a sweet tone. “I shoulder give you a tour of the house.”

            “Oh that would be great!” Mina says, faking as much sweetness as I had.

            “Oh um okay, I will be cooking dinner now so I hope you stay,” Carol tells Mina, throwing me curious glance between Mina and I.