VII. July

~July~

            My second party.

             The sound of fireworks resonates throughout the house and the pounding bass of the music pumps through my blood.

            As I stand there with my back to the wall, taking a sip out of my beer, I look around for Mina.

            We had gotten into an argument-a small one really- or at least it seemed like that at the time.

            Flashback-

                        “Do you know what college you’re going to?” Mina asks me.

                        I shake my head in a negative, driving in the dark to the party. “Figured I would stay here and get a job….”

                        “I’m going to UCLA,” She says quietly after a while.

                        I press the brakes and quickly release it, my breath catching in my throat.

                        “That’s a longs way from Vermont,” I say, my voice low and hoarse.

                        Mina doesn’t say anything and an uncomfortable feeling fills my heart.

                        “I don’t suppose you’ll visit often…” I trail off.

                        “I can’t stay here. I need to get away. Unlike you who is just happy staying here,” Mina snaps suddenly.

                        She refuses to meet my gaze and I feel my temper rising with her  random irritation.

                        “Don’t you think I want that to escape this crappy town to?” I snap back.

                        “Then do something with your life! Stop moping about and whining-“

                        “You don’t know anything about me,” I growl. "at leat i am willing to stay and face my life rahter than trying to run away from everything."

                        Mina glares at me. “Jace Alex Simmon, you better get you head out of your butt because I know what you do. You shove everyone away who tries to help you-“

                        “Everyone is curious about me- that is why they ‘pretend’ care about me. I haven’t found anyone who actually wants to stay and face the crap of my life and actually put in the energy to face the pain with me!” I explode.

                        Mina exhales sharply, her knuckles white. “I hate you.”

                        I slam my brakes hard, our bodies lurching forward as her heart dig into my heart, her unshed tears drowning me in self-loathing.

                        Opening the door harshly, Mina steps out to enter the party before slamming the door so hard the car rattles.

            End of Flashback-

            I probably should have gone home, but I couldn’t bring myself too.