Chapter 15 : "Marie"

- 4runner

 01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

After Christmas, the new year came but this time there was no party with the other. From what James told me: Liam went on vacation in New York with his mother's family, Rebecca was grounded and the two others were in town but with their family. That night James went on a date with Lucie so I was alone. I watched movies all night. It was really great.

But now everyone has come back and we're back in class. Talking about class, Miss Denis made a new resolution for the year: she wants to teach me everything about the English language and culture. I didn't have a word to say because James said yes instead of me. So now -she calls me "Dear" again- and I have different exercises than the others. Also, because Rebecca is her favorite student, she helps me. And we're together for every group project.

So today we were working on a presentation about some boring shit subject which I didn't choose. The teacher chose it. But we're done, for today, at least. She proposed to walk to James's house with me at least for the beginning and I accepted: why would I refuse?

"Any news from James?" She asks.

"No, I think he let his phone die again. He always forgot to charge it at night."

She laughs.

"Yeah, he never changes. Oh, I heard from Liam that he negotiated with you to have 'hug times'."

"Well...yeah, it's my 'Christmas gift' as he said. I didn't want to but he said we can't refuse a gift."

"He's right but now Liam is jealous."

I softly giggle: The sunshine boy is jealous? Like I'd believe that.

"He never asked before giving me a hug why would he need permission, now."

We talk a bit more before our way separates. She leaves and I put on some music for the rest. I quickly arrive at the house. Three cars are parked before the house. When I enter, the whole Miller family is here. James, Sadie, Caleb, and the last person is probably Lindsey. The older sister of James and the first child of the family. If I remember correctly what they told me: she's in the army, has a boyfriend, and is very gorgeous. Well, I can't verify the first two but the last one is true. Lyndsey Miller is beautiful and badass. Because she's currently wearing a tank top, I can see her muscles, and ... I don't think I've ever seen someone so muscular, even in movies. She has Sadie's light brown hair and Caleb's black eyes.

It would have been surprising - for me - to see everyone reunited today if I hadn't overheard them last night. Yesterday, their parents came home at a late hour - I was supposed to be asleep but I was studying for a test- and I may have heard that Lindsey called them to warn them that she was coming. Apparently, something happened in the army, and after a visit to the psychologist, she was sent home.

Since I had been sleeping in her room for the past four months, I moved almost all the things I used into the guest room. I mean it's her home. I'm not going to occupy it when she's here.

When I close the door, they look at me. The discussion stopped and I could feel the pressure in the room. I look at them and they stare at me as if I'm a stranger to this house. I mean I don't see Sadie and Caleb much and I am a stranger to Lindsey so I'm not that surprised. James smiles and invites me to come near them. Not like I wanted to.

"Lindsey, this is 'Marie'. 'Marie' this is Lindsey: my older sister."

We look at each other. She's even more beautiful and impressive from this close. I know James's look alternates between me and her so I just bow my head to salute her. She does the same.

"Nice to meet you, I say before I look at the other. Hello, nice to see you again."

They respond and quickly report their attention to Lindsey. I warn James that I'm heading to my room and leaving. I can hear him excuse himself and follow me. I walk to the guest room and let my bag fall on the ground. James enters the room in the next two seconds.

"'Marie', I'm sorry Lindsey isn't usually this cold. It's just-.

"Cold? James, it was perfect. I would have been uncomfortable if she tried to shake my hand or even hug me. She's not cold, she's alright."

"Right, then it's cool," he sighed relieved.

He observes the room before looking at me again.

"I see you have already moved out of her room. You didn't have to."

"Doctor Myers told me that 'home' is a place we feel comfortable in. If she came home I figured she might want to be comfortable even in her sleep. Plus, I heard from you she wasn't feeling so well so, yes, I had to."

James smiles and hugs me. I let him be.

"Thank you, 'Marie'."

"It's normal, I guess, but don't take advantage of this to get more hug times."

"I don't do that, he smiles."