Chapter 9: Rebecca Peterson

- Drunk-Dazed -

01:43 ━━━━●───── 03:50

When I finally park my car, I walk to reach the edge. The wind is pretty violent today. At some point, it could push me off the cliff. It might hurt when I hit the ground but the in-between must feel really nice. Maybe it will feel like flying. Ugh, what am I thinking? Let's just practice before the sun disappears. Alright, music.

Drunk-Dazed starts and I run to get in position. Arms down, feet in third position. At the first word, I throw my arm to my left and slide as if I grab my partner's hand. This choreography is for two people. Me and another dancer, I don't like him. But then again, I have to be the main dancer in this performance for my mother. She already doesn't like the song, not a real dance song and I agree with her, for once. But it goes with the theme.

And jump. I get closer to the edge where the wind gets more violent. This is where the fun begins. If dancing injured me badly, will she finally stop pressuring my younger sisters into dancing? It's an interesting bet. And on pirouette! I hear some rocks falling behind me. And the second pirouette! Oh no! Where is my partner? I can't help but laugh at my situation. Leap, leap, and third pirouette! Throw my hand and no-what?

I looked at my hand because someone grabbed it. He pulled me to him and we started the next part of the choreography. How does he know it? And how did he know I was here? Hand throw, come back, hand throws again, and the last pirouette before a normal prom dance. This is where it ends. The music stops and we don't move for some second. His hand is around my waist retaining me from falling and his other hand is in mine.

"Pleasure to meet you, Princess Rebecca," he says smiling.

He pulls me back up but doesn't let go of my hand.

"What are you doing here, Max? And how did you even know I was here?"

"I figured it out. I'm not surprised you like this spot. It's a high place, not too far from the town so you can come and go whenever you want and you don't risk being disturbed because it's forbidden to come here. Also, you can see the sunset."

I don't try to respond: it's not worthy. Max truly knows me.

"Come on, Reb: let's sit in your car and talk."

"Can we sit here?"

I point to a rock near my car. He accepts and we walk to the rock. He's not letting go of my hand...He makes me sit, as if I was an old woman, and go search for something in his Motorbike. How did I not hear the motor? Was I that deep in my thoughts? Or did I put my music too loud? I didn't even notice his presence behind me.

He comes back with a bunch of food and a pack of beer. He probably stole it from his brother's fridge. He sits next to me and opens two bottles before handing me one.

"So," he says, "wanna talk about it?"

I don't talk and just take a sip of my drink. He smiles and looks at the sun slowly getting down.

"When is your performance?"

"Next week."

"Next week? But there's a competition next week and we will all be there for once!"

"I know, but it's the winter festival or something like that and I have been practicing my choreography since last year. My mother won't let me miss it."

" What about your father?"

I sigh: my father is not here. He's on a trip for two weeks. Max figures out the answer and sighs. He looks in front of him: the sunset is starting.