Chapter 22 - Visions

Chapter 22 – Visions

The forest spread out in all directions. Even if there hadn't been snow on the dry ground, turning everything into an icy landscape, he would have known it was winter. You could literally feel it. For a moment he just stood there, not sure why he had come. The forest around him was dead silent. You couldn't even hear a bird singing.

Then, without really knowing why, he started to move, making his way through the deep branches of a thicket. The cold leaves scratched his Shadowhunter gear, but he didn't mind. He hadn't spent years training as a warrior to be bothered by cold leaves. He had just cleared the thicket when he heard a scream. He stopped dead in his tracks and listened. It hadn't been a sound of pain, nor a terrified scream. It had sounded angry. And surprised.

He started moving again, but faster this time. The ground was uneven and the thick layer of snow made it almost impossible to make out the roots of the trees. But his feet carried him reliably through the forest.

Another scream broke the silence, and he was sure he had almost reached its source. Then the trees suddenly opened up on either side and he found himself in a clearing. He almost stumbled in surprise. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a frantic movement. He raised his head.

A young woman in dark gear knelt a few yards in front of him. In her right hand she held a sword, raised defensively in front of her chest. Red hair fell around her shoulders, blowing in the cold winter air. If she hadn't looked so amazed, she would have looked like an angel. A soft gasp escaped her lips and her emerald green eyes fixed on a figure moving menacingly towards her.

"Jonathan, what's this about?" There was amazement in her voice, but also anger. A moment later, she lowered her sword and instead raised her left hand in the direction of the figure. He had been so mesmerized by the sight of her that he only now turned his head to the other person.

A young man, not much older than her, was standing a good two meters away from her. His face was twisted into a seething mask of fury, his teeth bared and he seemed more animal than human. His black eyes were otherworldly and didn't match the rest of his looks. He also wore Shadowhunter gear. Instead of answering her, he lunged at her faster than he had ever seen a human move. The redhead didn't flinch as he threw her to the floor and bent over her. She didn't even seem to be breathing. All she could manage was a rattling sound as her shoulders hit the hard ground.

Every fiber in his body struggled to lunge forward and pull Jonathan away from her. But his feet were heavy as stone, he couldn't move an inch forward. He could only watch as Jonathan stared darkly at the young woman.

"Jonathan, damn it, stop!" she managed to choke out, staring at him with wide, scared eyes. Her hands sought support in the cold ground and she wanted to get up when Jonathan brutally rammed his boot into her ribs. The cracking of bones echoed across the clearing, followed closely by a cry of pain.

He hadn't expected that she would straighten up again a second later and pull Jonathan with her to the ground. Her movement was not very smooth and yet he had not been prepared. Jonathan fell to the ground with her. They fought briefly, then the redhead prevailed and knelt over him. She pressed his arms into the snow. "Stop that right now."

But Jonathan said nothing. Instead, his hands went to her forearms. He tried to wrestle her off him again. Shortly thereafter, she fell to the ground next to him and he used her moment of weakness to regain control of the situation. His face was an uncontrolled mask of anger. He seemed to be freaking out every second, and yet his hand didn't even tremble as it slid down to his weapon-belt.

Jace could only watch as Jonathan unbuckled the golden dagger from his belt and placed it under the woman's chin. A perfidious smile spread across his face, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. When she realized what Jonathan was up to, she began to wriggle under him. She spat in his face. "Let me go."