6

I wake up with a dry throat and a throbbing headache. It was half past 11 in the evening and I woke up from a dream. The same dream as before.

It makes me wonder why this dream keeps on replaying even though I've found the chest. I thought it would finish and let me know what's inside the box.

I check the alarm clock and it's currently 6 am. Gab is fast asleep beside me but I have no intention of waking him up.

I stand up and go to the bathroom. I wash my face with cold water to wake me up. Then there was a ringing of my phone.

'Miss Sales? Your father is in a critical condition. I suggest you come here.' A nurse said calmly.

My phone fell out of my grasp. Tears slide down my cheeks.

'GAB, Gab wake up.' I say in between sobs. I run out of their house and go inside his car. He follows behind me.

I drive to the hospital really fast. I jump out of the car as soon as we are there. My mind is blurry. My eyes are blurry. I run to the emergency room.

'Where is my dad? WHERE?' I shouted.

The nurse and Gab tried to calm me down. I can't calm down. My father is nearly dying, how can I?

The tears can't stop. They won't. I won't.

I sit at the chairs. I ran my hand through my hair. I stand up and pace back and forth.

'Why did this happen to me?' I mumble to myself. Again and again. It has become a mantra. But instead of encouraging me, it drags me down.

The doctor comes out of the doors and I stare at him. I hold his shoulders and plead him,' tell me my daddy is okay, tell me he's going to be okay.'

The tears flow harder.

'Your dad wants to see you.' The doctor says.

I go inside and see my dad looking pale. I hate to say this but I think it's better that he goes. He looks so tired. I want this burden to stop. Not for me, but for him. I love him so muchZ

No words were exchange at the first few minutes. I need an icebreaker.

'Angel, my angel. Remember I'll be by your side always. Okay baby?' My dad reminds me.

I nod. Tears flow harder, if that is possible.

He tears up a little. I wipe it away.

'My only wish is that you search for something that makes you happy. I heard that you're going to Switzerland with Gab. Go. I left everything under your name. Do what you want with the house. Please be happy. That is all I wish for you.' He says solemnly. His voice is hoarse and I want him to stop talking. I don't want to tire him.

I nod. Tears. Tears. Tears.

'I love you Angel. From now on I'm your angel. I love you.' He says. His eyes slowly closing.

'I love you too dad. I love you so much. I'm letting you go because you're tired. I love you.' I lay every feeling I have for him. And that is love.

The beeping of the monitor is heard all over the room.

I hug his body. Crying. I love you dad. I kiss his cheeks. I love you dad. More than anything in this world.

I stand up and walk to the door. I glimpse at him one last time. And I walk out of the door.

'Gab, let's go.'

***

It has been a week. My mom never came to my father's wake.

What has been keeping Gab and his family worried is that I never cried. After I walked out of his death room, I promised that I'll never cry.

My dad's only wish is for me to be happy so I am going to be happy. I'm going to leave everything from the past behind. Leaving only the happiest memories.

My dad's will came and As my dad said, I got everything. I'm planning to sell the house and buy a smaller one. What is that big house for when I'm alone?

All the time I spent my days and nights at Gab's. Our Switzerland trip is next week already. And Gab extended it for a month. Touring not only Switzerland but also other European countries. France, England, Germany, Italy and Amsterdam. Kicking it off at Switzerland. More or less, two months.

I totally forgot about the treasure chest. But as I was packing I saw it. I put it inside my suitcase. I don't know why.

I kept what my father wished for me. I'm going to look for happiness by myself. And maybe, I'm going to find it there. And with Gab by my side, i know for sure.