Chapter Four: Jace

I watched as her head flopped down, and Grayson entered the room. "Andrew. Jace. Take her to the transport. Jace," He turned to me, noticing my confused expression. "Andrew will lead the way, he knows where the transport is. I expect you to be at the Warehouse in about an hour." With that, he strode out the door.

    The Warehouse was Grayson's base of operations. Any important business or experiments were conducted there. Scientific labs for carrying out any experiment had been built, but no one but Grayson knew about the experiments that happened there. Should there be any failed experiments, all scientists are killed, so they would never repeat what they learned.

    I rolled out a wheelchair concealed in a large cabinet, and Andrew hauled her into it. As I held the door open, he wheeled her out, and we started down the hallway. We took several sudden turns, and soon came to a metal door.

    I heaved it open- it was a heavy door- and we approached an... ambulance? "Is this the transport?" I asked, shocked. Grayson liked style, and would usually opt for the big black government SUV.

    "It best suits our needs at the moment." Andrew answered gruffly. He was definitely not one for conversation.

    The doors of the ambulance swung open, and two men jumped out. With Andrew's help, they picked up Adria and set her in the ambulance, separately loading in the wheelchair. I hopped in, the doors slamming behind me, and we were off.

    I looked up, and noticed a friend of mine beside me. "Jack!" We were rarely placed on an assignment together, so I was honestly surprised to see him. Grayson preferred we didn't create strong friendships, otherwise it would raise more questions if someone disappeared. No one liked to think it, but disappearances were frequent and sudden, but no one ever asked why, out of fear.

    He walked over, and joined me in watching Adria from the back of the ambulance. The car shifted into gear, and I stumbled a little as the ambulance leaped forward. "Brutal hours this morning." Jack said, slightly grimacing.

    "You're just saying that because you didn't get your full twelve hours." I replied sarcastically.

    "You don't know the true happiness of waking up late with full energy." He shot back.

    We bantered like that, back and forth, for however long, but it can't have been more than ten minutes. A sudden groan startled us to attention, and as we watched, Andrew started to choke. It seemed like his airway was being crushed by an unseen pressure, his face turning a light shade of purple.

    "It's the girl!" Jack shouted, and sure enough, her eyes popped open, wide open, and she sat up, taking huge breaths. Another man stood in the front of the ambulance, and he fumbled for his gun.

    "St-stop it." He stammered. "Stop it or I'll shoot."

    At that, the girl turned, and he eyes somehow grew wider as she caught sight of Andrew being forced to the ground. She suddenly collapsed against the gurney she was on, and Andrew fell with her, landing in a heap on the ground.

    Jack hurried to feel Andrew's pulse, as the girl took huge gasping breaths, her chest heaving as if she had just run a marathon. "More of that drug." The man with the gun shouted at me. "Now!"

    I reached for the syringe, fumbling with the container, and filling the syringe in about fifteen seconds. I reached toward her arm, but just as the syringe grazed her arm, I flew back, hitting the back door hard enough to rattle it in the frame.

    I lunged forward, and finally sedated her. "What....." I gaped at her. "How....?"

    "Don't," replied Jack, his voice shaking. "It'll just make things worse. With Grayson, asking questions always does."