4.

Briar's POV

Pushing open the door, I was faced with the daunting interview that will determine my career. The grey haired man, holding my future in his palm used it to gesture for me to sit when he spotted my brown hair poke through the crevice in his door.

"You must be Briar. Welcome to Mclaren." He spoke, the American accent evident

"Thank you for having me. And my friend Valeria."

"Ah yes, she was who I received the enquiry from. But less of the boring stuff, tell me a bit about yourself, what do you think you can bring to us as a personal manager."

"Well, I came runner up to being the F2 champion in 2021..." God I didn't think it would pain me that much to talk about, my heart rate and jumped by what felt like a million beats.

"But I take pride in my work, I'm very efficient. During my time as a racer I was never once late. I also found great joy in my training. I mostly organised myself around, trying to be the best I could be. I feel as though coming back into the racing industry, especially in a team as amazing as Mclaren, I can use my personal experience and talent for media and organisation in helping your driver be the best they can be during their time in F1." I rambled on. I bet I sounded like a right stuck up bitch listing off my qualities, this is why I remembered hating interviews.

"Well Briar, all I can see is looking back on your racing profile and all of the impressive qualities you have just told me is that you'd be a perfect fit for this role. But I do have to ask, you did seem to make a swift exit from the racing industry, are you sure this is what you want to do?"

No going back now Briar. Valeria always told me to do what felt right and returning back to the field I once enjoyed so much, where I grew up, is what I wanted to do. Yes, it would be a hard transition and yes, my dad would hate this, but racing is where I belong.

"I am aware my leaving from F2 was quite abrupt and I did question for a while whether I belonged in motorsport but Valeria kicked me into gear applying for this job. It has made me realise how much I miss racing and being given an opportunity by someone like you is absolutely incredible. To answer your question, yes, this is what I want to do." I spoke clearly, the smile appearing on Zak's face when he heard this answer.

"Well Briar, we would love to have you on board." Zak stood up to shook my hand from behind the desk.

Sitting back down, my legs had stopped shaking as they previously were and I was able to exhale. It was at this point that all the old memories of racing came flooding back and I knew I had made the right decision listening to my friend. Looking back, I had been completely miserable without racing and as much as I didn't want to admit it, I wanted to come back.

"This driver you'll be managing, he shouldn't be too much of a handful but there are a lot of issues that need ironing out, timing and media being his biggest issues but I don't believe you should struggle. But I will let you know now, that this is a very specific case, this is one of our 'second chance drivers' as we call it. If you can't sort him and his image out, then he will be cut."

"I understand." I said nodding my head, but I felt like shaking it for this poor driver, his whole career in my hands,

"Right, we'll just fetch your new project in here and I'll leave you two for a while to get to know each other. Just make sure he's out of here in half an hour. We're happy for you to join us. I'll drop you an email to sort out some meetings and kit for you to get you started."

"Thank you Zak, this really is an amazing opportunity."

As he left I smiled. I could finally be back in the sport I once so loved. I was able to do something I loved and help someone gain what I couldn't. I already knew I was going to love it here. Mclaren had been so welcoming in just the half hour that I had been here. I really could see myself in their colours, as much as they were disgusting.