2. Black Lakes and Sorting Hats

First Year, 1972

Regulus  and I stuck together after the train reached the station. Now standing, I realize that he only has three inches of height on me, which is surprising considering I'm rather short for our age. 

"Firs' ye'ars! Firs' ye'ars this way!" I tilt my head to look at the mountain of a man in front of us, he has to be at least eight feet tall and his bushy beard blends together the mane of hair on his head, giving him the look of a very hairy, but very nice giant. The man leads our large group of eleven year old's to several small boats and a seemingly endless lake. Joy rushes through me, Albus Dumbledore had delivered my Hogwarts letter personally and told me that I would be allowed frequent dips in the water, even the freshwater Mer had agreed so that I wouldn't get landsick.

"Come on Regulus", I urge after noticing him pause at the bow of the boat. His already pale face turned white and he gave the most minuscule shake of his head, I'm not even sure he moved at all. "Do you not like the water?" The question lingers in the air for a moment until he slowly, and more visibly, shakes his head again.

I stand in the boat and take the few steps to be in front of him, his hand feels like ice as I grasp it in mine and gently tug at him, he doesn't fight me and takes unsteady steps aboard. We sit with our shoulders touching on the wooden bench and his hand clutches at mine in a death grip. I simply aim my stare towards the impending castle coming upon up.

Magic radiates from the great stone structure, light shines through the windows and arches making the castle look as if it's glowing. The beautiful school is surrounded with evergreen trees and the night sky is bright with stars.

"Did you know Regulus is the heart of the Leo constellation?" The words tumble from my lips before I realize and I blush under his neutral gaze.

"Did you know Diana means Divine in Greek and Latin?" Is his responses and my blush spreads to the tips of my ears as I shake my head.

The boat falls into silence once more, nerves starting to wiggle their way into my heart like a sea worm in the sand. My mama and I had a long talk about how different life would be at Hogwarts the night Dumbledore gave me my letter. I won't be able to sleep in a bed of seaweed or sing my siren song or speak Merish and I definitely can't give into my more "animalistic" instincts. No more scenting or huddling with my mama when the ocean is especially cold, no more being me. Now I can only be a witch, it's not safe for half-breeds anywhere in the wizarding world so I have to be careful. Overridden with anxieties, I don't even notice when our boat bumps along to shore, I don't process walking the flights of stairs or listening to the stern woman in the emerald robes speak. Before I know it it's time for the sorting.

"Black, Regulus." The name breaks me out of my stupor, along the front of the Great Hall lies a horizontal table full of professors while a lone witch stands reading the names for the sorting. The sea of students part of the noble as he walks, unflinchingly to the stool. Turning to face his audience, Regulus takes a seat and allows the hat's brim to fall over his shining silver eyes. A second passes. Another. One more until-

"SLYTHERIN!" The hat announces loudly to the hall, the table full of silver and emerald clad students rise while they clap for their new housemate, but my eyes stay on Regulus. For a single moment I thought I saw sadness flash in his iris's. More names are called after his, each house causing an uproar at the new blood.

"Hali, Diana." My heart goes still and the air leaves my lungs, I wish I was underwater. I would do anything for the comforting, all surrounding presence of the sea and Thalassa. My feet feel foreign and clumsy as I make my way to the proud woman holding a dingey hat. Sitting down I feel a weight on my head and darkness fall over my eyes.

"Hello there, who are you?" An echoing voice booms inside my head and I violently flinch at the intrusion.

"Yassas, I'm Diana Hali." I think towards the hat, unsure how to communicate.

"Ah, you are Greek and a Hali, no doubt Philip Hali's daughter." The hat pauses, "You are going to be much harder to place then he was. I see a deep want to prove yourself and a strong sense of self, you burn at the fact that you have to hide what you are."

"I don't believe anyone likes living a lie."

"How every Slytherin of you, however you have a great passion for other's that overshadow your own goals." He re-accounts as if trying to solve a riddle. "Intelligent yes, but not overly so, brave but not always. OH!" He shouts as if finding a sunken treasure, "unwavering loyalty! I know exactly where to put you..."

"HUFFLEPUFF!"