Promise

"I, Ernest Schmidt, the illegitimate son of Volkhard von Arundel, known only to some as Thales, swear allegiance to you now and in the future to achieve your goals and objectives. Now and always, you have my word," Ernest said to Byleth. She was in a strange situation: never received such a sign of loyalty. Nor would she have expected it. That boy was simply a rival. A very strong one, of course. But she didn't expect that level of 'respect.'

"Ehem ..." Byleth couldn't gather the words to speak.

"I'm listening, Byleth...." Ernest's cold, hard gaze had turned tender.

"I, Byleth Eisner, swear you will be my trusted ally in this endless struggle for peace. Together we will bring a future of prosperity and harmony to this land and defend it against those who seek to destroy it. With the Goddess as a witness, I wish these promises unite us until the end."

"What... We've been formal," Ernest said, then laughed a little. "Excuse me... My attitude. I brought out my "killer" side with you. I needed to convince myself so I could face you with everything."

"Don't worry, Ernest," Byleth replied with a slight smile. "You have shown that you are a formidable opponent, and I know your skill will be a great asset for the fight ahead." She rubbed her head a little, searching for how to continue. "But I'd rather see that "killer" side of you only when necessary. Understand?"

"It's true, professor." The boy stared at the floor as he got up. "I got carried away in several ways today. Let's say... I need some clarification. My personality today is not what I try to show daily... I hope I haven't offended Hilda too much. I didn't have to offend her."

"Oh, don't worry about that," Byleth said with his typical calm expression. "Despite how lazy she may appear outside; Hilda is very good at standing her ground."

"I got that impression, too," Ernest replied. "That's why I used his brother's."

"Well... It's important to think before you speak. If you fall back into that, you can consult me. I will always be...."

"Happy to advise my students, right?" the boy replied, smiling. "I'll take you at your word... It's not like I'm very tactful with women."

"You're funny... I must give you that," the teacher replied, putting away her sword. "Women are people, too, as obvious as it may seem. You must be respectful and kind, like with anyone else. And well, if you need help with how to do something, I repeat: I can advise you. I am not an example in that area, but it will become easier as we learn."

"Together? Ehmm ... Yes, it's okay to learn how to treat people; Yeah."

That answer from Byleth took Ernest by surprise. He didn't know, but he had started thinking about her as a woman until then. He couldn't help but feel a little nervous. It was not for lowerly; Byleth was, in addition to being a great warrior and teacher, a beautiful woman. Her blue-toned hair, her fine-featured face, her smooth skin despite her combat wounds, and her attractive figure were something that no one was indifferent to.

Meanwhile, Byleth was overseeing Ernest. She didn't understand the boy's calm and even somewhat shy attitude now. "Is he really that dissociated or fragmented? How traumatic would your childhood have ended up being to fall into that condition? she thought as she stared at the young man. However, she should stop looking at him so much. It was his teacher, after all.

"I was wondering, Ernest...." Byleth spoke to try to break the ice. "When was the last time you used these killer 'arts'?"

"Um..." Ernest had a hard time answering that question. "About four years ago, Byleth. I still have horrible memories of those last days as an assassin."