Horrendous memories

Ernest's situation is more serious than he himself anticipated. The injury has taken him to Garreg Mach's infirmary. There he has an encounter with Byleth during the night. The relationship between the two becomes closer than the boy expected, although that may complicate Byleth's reputation at the Academy.

Byleth was able to give herself more time to be shocked by the situation. Her mind considered the event to be an opportunity for her to lash out at the monster. Using her Sword of the Creator, the professor slit the monster's throat, making it fall.

The creature writhed until it stopped moving. After that, the creature's body vanished and only the disfigured corpse of Miklan remained next to the Lance of Ruin.

"Marianne, use your magic to help Ernest! Now!" Byleth ordered the girl.

"Ah, I'll do it!"

Ernest received a healing spell from Marianne. Ernest sat down after a couple of applications of said spell. Although the poison did not affect the boy much, the burn looked terrible.

"Don't worry... I think I'll survive."

"Dude, that burn is pretty bad," Claude said. "We have to apply a poultice so that this wound does not become infected."

"Nah, I can manage. It's not the first time I've fought creatures like this."

"You will let your wounds be treated without complaints," Byleth said, with a dazed look. "That's an order."

"That's how it will be..." answered the boy. "Thanks for all your help, Marianne."

"Y-yes... Ernest," the light blue-haired woman responded, embarrassed. "It doesn't matter."

Once Marianne had treated Ernest's wounds, he was all set to go. The group left the tower, which was battered by the intensity of the battle. Ernest was carried by Claude.

The students got into their carriages. Ernest remained lying on the cart prepared for the mission's wounded, who fortunately were so few that only a single transport was required for it.

It was already night and the cold and humidity in the Kingdom's territories bothered those students accustomed to more pleasant weather conditions. Ernest slept with difficulty. It seemed that his burn was deeper and that caused more damage, although the pain was not as much as with a superficial burn.

The boy stirred in his sleep. Apparently, he was dreaming. Ernest remembered a wasteland on fire, with many people dead or dying. The banners of the Kingdom were visible. People with light and dark skin were spread on the ground with red mud from the spilled blood.

Ernest could see only a blonde boy standing, dissociated by the terrible scene. He quickly took it and left it by a Duscur subject, perhaps both of the same age. He ordered them to flee immediately. Then, Ernest saw a blond bearded man cursing him in every possible way. "Saving my son will not redeem you. Your hands will forever be stained with the blood of this kingdom. And I swear to you, asshole... I swear to you that he will come back and rip your head off, you damned spawn of the devil."

Ernest woke up confused. He noticed that they were carrying him on a stretcher. Byleth and Claude accompanied him on either side. He couldn't answer well. The boy felt confused and feverish. His wound had surely become infected. He thought about how stupid had been.

"Ha, what an idiot I am," said Ernest, looking into nothingness.

"Don't talk, friend. Things are not going well," Claude replied, with a look of concern.

Byleth was quiet and serious. She did not look at Ernest for even a moment. The Professor looked worried, but cold at the same time. Ernest fainted again. When he woke up again, the man noticed that it was late, very late. He was in the infirmary, from what he could tell. There were no people on the stretchers. It appears that the other injuries were not serious.